Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v sounds like diesel »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v sounds like diesel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v sounds like diesel  (Read 341 times)
leftofcentre

Email

24v sounds like diesel
« on: Dec 29th, 2005, 7:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Started the car this morn after very cold night (-7 on car temp gauge), strange noises were heard.

I always turn the engine over using the foot to floor method and there is very little if any rattling from the chains after this has been done.

However today there was an extroadinary loud rattling for about 30 (thirty) seconds.  My wife described it as one of thos clackers they used to have at football matches.  She went on to say it sounded yesterday too when she started the car to go to work.

Of course, the sound then went and wasnt heard since all today during a 150mile drive.

Anyway, when we got back home this evening, i opened the bonnet and i have never noticed before, but is it me or does the 24v sound a bit like a diesel engine?  Noisy tappets.

I have owned many cars before and i never noticed them that loud.  Is this normal?  i am thinking now that the noise this morning and yday was Hydraulic Tappets maybe filling with oil after overnight draining?  

I must say i am perplexed.  Any ideas?
IP Logged
Wafoo

Very,Very Alive 1998 2.9 24v Cossie Scorpio

View Profile Email

Re: 24v sounds like diesel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 12:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sounds like it,mine makes a hideous racket at the moment,it was left for a couple of weeks and with the cold weather and oil draining i'm hoping it's just empty oilways
IP Logged

[url]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/wafoo81/P9160011.jpg[/url
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

Re: 24v sounds like diesel
« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there .... at the very very least a full clean oil change with a Ford filter is recommended immediately.. before making any other conclusions .. 5/50 or 10/50 maybe .. and then 10/50 at the next oil change < if there is a next one > ... and avoid oil additives unless you really want to use them ... regards .. STN
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.