Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Burning Smell, Can't be good »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Burning Smell, Can't be good
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Burning Smell, Can't be good  (Read 510 times)
mazzy_j

View Profile

Burning Smell, Can't be good
« on: Jan 5th, 2006, 8:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Straight to the point, is it possible for the wiper motor to have burnt out but still be working as per normal?

Was driving to work this morning in the drizzle with the wipers on and i heard a quiet thud from the engine bay.  

Pulled over into a petrol station and had a look to find that the bottom wiper link coming from the wiper motor had come off and jammed. I freed it and reattached the arm.

Time was getting on so i got moving again, about 2 miles down the road the cabin started to smell strongly  of burning but i made it to work ok. Had another look under the bonnet and found that the smell was coming from the motor itself.  

So even though the wipers now work fine (for the time being), could it be posssible for the motor to have slightly burnt itself out when it got jammed but still be working?

Thanks,

Matt
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

Re: Burning Smell, Can't be good
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 10:06am »

It could get verry hot, when it's blocked out, the fuse should burnt out  Shocked. IF it it still works and doesn't heat anymore, and the smelling of burnt is gone, then you can use it. Would be nice if you could dismantle it and see what's inside, give it a clean, and put some oil on the berings.

PS: also if you can check the wireing from the inside wiper switch to the motor
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 11:19am »

More importantly,  if the bottom link  has come off once   it will surely  do so  again, best to get that  fixed  as well,   it's  a  very common fault.
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 12:49pm »

Yeah the link has come off once before about 4 months ago but i zip-tied it together and was as good as gold until today. Did try getting a new link but Ford said they only do the whole assembly to the tune of £55 and thats on discount.

As for the burning smell, it seems to coming from around the fuse box area as well, so i've disconnected the battery to see if the smell goes which would eliminate an electrical fault in the wiring (something shorting out and melting, won't happen if there's no power).

Matt
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 3:31pm »

I bought   a bottom arm late on last year .. ask for the one of a Mk 3 granada which has the same mechanism. If I remeber correctly £8.00 or there abouts  ALL the info is on this page on the main site http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/wiperlinks.htm
the finis nos etc    6 127 673  is the finis number for the short one.  

It would also appear that you can get just the bush for the linkage which is FINIS 6747905 ata cost of £1.05 but IMHO I do not think it is worth the trouble .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2006, 3:42pm »

Thanks Snoopy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.