Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ride Height ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Ride Height ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ride Height ?  (Read 517 times)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Ride Height ?
« on: Jan 6th, 2006, 1:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm noticing excessive tread  wear on the inside of the nearside front tyre,  the tracking seems to be fine so the camber angle is  next in line for checking.
  Looking at the suspension set-up,  would I be right in thinking  soggy front springs could affect  the  camber angle ?  i.e.  make the car sit lower than was  recommended and make the top  of  the  wheel  lean  more inward.
IP Logged
dexix

Email

Re: Ride Height ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have exactly the same problem - I had excessive wear on my nearside front, got new tyres last week and asked them to sort the tracking, they said its fine and that is the tyre that always wears the most on cars - I wasnt happy with that so I am getting a four wheel alignment done. Its booked in next week I need to sort this as I dont want to mess my new tyres up so interested in the responses here.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 3:12pm »

I did read that one  too,     that the nearside  tyre will  wear  more on one side due to  the camber   of a road  ( where the road  dips  down  to the left for water  drainage )  Huh

I   think  we  all  know   that's   a   load of   spherical  objects  and a  stock roguish  answer  to    problems   that   the   mechanic  knows  nowt  about.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 5:10pm »

hi there

sounds more like the front wishbone ball joints and bushes are worn. the alignment will be fine when standing still, but moves all over the place when moving.

hth
IP Logged
dexix

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If I added that my car doesnt feel all that stable at higher speeds (a sort of wander?) would that add weight to the wishbone theory?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2006, 10:08pm »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faults_wander.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/wishbone.htm

hth
IP Logged
stafford

Ultima lover!!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2006, 9:11am »

important thread this..I too have problems with inner tyre wear. I took wheels off to do complete brake overhaul to notice the rear 2 were bald on the inside one inch of both tyres..nearly had a heart attack!! was going to go on the motorway that day.Took the fiesta instead!! so do u all think its a bushes and joint problem cos Ive found a site that will sell powerflex poly bushes separatley. rather than the 160£ ebay company wants for a set of rears. hope this link may be helpful if you r thinking of what im thinking to do!
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/powerflex-bushes .htm
IP Logged

freeflyer

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 6:49pm »

Stafford; if you figure out what was wrong with your rear tyres, will you let me (or everyone here for that matter) know. Noticed the same problem on mine as I changed to winter tyres. Not cool  Sad
IP Logged

Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 8:09pm »

I'm showing the same inner edge wear on the rear O/S tyre and have a slightly lower ride height at that wheel arch..

On jacking the rear up and lowering it the ride height goes back to what i would say is normal but on moving the car it drops to the original place.

I cant see it while im doing it but I reckon the inner trailing arm bush has failed allowing the trailing arm to drop slightly and run the tyre more on the inside

I'm sure I can actually see the rear wheel leaning in compared to the other side when looking at it from the rear but difficult to tell.

The bush I think it is is marked number 8 on the left hand trailing arm

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

tjp_lawson

I love bob( thats my engine by the way)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2006, 11:21pm »

these cars do tend to knock rear tyre inner edges off for a past time my rear wheels are particuarly cambered i put that down to the age of my cars springs.never had a problem with fronts knocking out though
IP Logged

tyroe
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.