Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 2:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Speedo Problems (Now sorted) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Speedo Problems (Now sorted)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speedo Problems (Now sorted)  (Read 883 times)
DJWerkz

Email

Speedo Problems (Now sorted)
« on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This morning got the car running and even took it round the villages for a spin!

As some of you know, head had to be removed so we could get have the spark plug in cylinder number 5 removed by a machine shop.

Initial problems seem to be:

1. Speedo is now not working (was working fine before)
2. Idle is quite rough.  Will dwell around the 1100 rpm then drop to the mark just below the 1000 rpm, which I presume is about 600.  When it drops to 600 it seems to appear like it wants to stall.

Any ideas?
IP Logged
bertie

Email

Re: Back together again!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:54pm »

as a guess, cos your speedos not working, the ECU will not get the readings from the VSS..... have you done the speedo dash light up routine and see if the VSS is registering an output.

press and hold in the trip reset for approx 30 secs display will bleep and loads of displays/lights will flash, keep pressing the trip button til you get to speed....leave on this and go for a drive....see what the value is.

IP Logged
Wafoo

Very,Very Alive 1998 2.9 24v Cossie Scorpio

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

rough idle could be air leak sounds exact symptoms as mine,found the t-piece between the cylinders broke replaced that,idle back to normal,
turn the engine off and listen towards the rear of the engine for an escaping air sound,probably the problem or maybe the MAF?
Mines still leaking somewhere about to take it all apart for the umpteenth time!
IP Logged

[url]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/wafoo81/P9160011.jpg[/url
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:09pm »

I figured as much about the leaks, do need to do some additional checks in that area but why would the speedo suddenly not work when it has done so on all previous uses?

Seems like it's just a coincidence it does not work having worked on the engine.  Is there anything electronic in the engine bay that would stop the speedo from working if it were disconnected?
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 8:04pm »

if the trip computer,speed sensitive power steering and the auto gear changes are ok then the fault looks like behind the dashboard.if none of the above work then it's could be the sensor on the side of the gearbox.

David

IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:31am »

You mention that 'if the trip computer is OK'... then the fault lies elsewhere.  What kind of fault and cause would I be looking for with the trip computer?
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:39am »

I was refering to speedo not working.If that is the only thing not working then fault could be in the dash board.if other things are not working suspect the speed sensor in the gearbox

David
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:59am »

I think the point is that all the items David lists depend upon speed data from the VSS sensor that Bertie mentions.  

Does the gearchange seem smooth can you see an average speed from the trip computer and what happens when you reset it.  Not having a Cossie I am not sure how you could tell if the speed sensitive power steering is doing its stuff. Anyhoo if the items listed seem to be OK then it may be an instrument pod or connector behind the dashboard. Bertie mentions the instrument reset, did you try that?

It may be worth checking that the VSS connector has not been dislodged and presumably you had to move the engine loom around to get at the heads, any chance that a cable got trapped or pinched in reassembly.

If you look at the fault finding page under electrical concerns it will point you at a further page on the VSS when speedo appears faulty.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faultfinds.htm  
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:46am »

glade to hear you are running again, has battery gone flat / disconnected, needle may be resting on the back side of the stop, try disconnecting battery for 10 secs, should flick back on re connection.
check for air / vacuum leaks with engine running, squirt some diesel cold start round the inlet manifold, thats the best stuff for picking that up. fav is the EGR, 'Ts' or the 'O' rings on the plenum chamber.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:10am »

Yeah glad to hear it's running again craig Smiley

Just work your way through what has been said mate.
A 24V will stall without the VSS but it sounds like a air leak to me espeically if it does it in park as the VSS is used on the move?

Don't forget the VSS signal travels through the engine loom maybe you have distrubed something?

IP Logged

Dave
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:09am »

Good to hear its almost up and running mate Smiley
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:56am »

on Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:46am, martin_rowe wrote:
glade to hear you are running again, has battery gone flat / disconnected, needle may be resting on the back side of the stop, try disconnecting battery for 10 secs, should flick back on re connection.
check for air / vacuum leaks with engine running, squirt some diesel cold start round the inlet manifold, thats the best stuff for picking that up. fav is the EGR, 'Ts' or the 'O' rings on the plenum chamber.

Battery did go flat, re-charging as I write Wink  Hopefully this is what the problem is, but we shall see.
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 8:05pm »

Re-charged battery but this has not caused the speedo to start working.  Tried the 'press reset on trip computer' but this just bleeped when I pressed it and nothing happened after 30 seconds,...and more.

When you say 'trip computer', I presume you mean the three-button (MODE, S, & R) on the lower dash panel on drivers side?  In fact I went through pressing all these buttons for 30 seconds or more and nothing happened (ignition was on by the way).

All values change while driving on the digital display which is inset in the speedo.

No problems with auto gearbox or anything else.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 9:15pm »

hi there

no, it's the one on the dash. Wink http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/instreset.htm

hth
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:19pm »

OK, got it.  Ran the test so that 'Speed' came up on the digital display and the two digit display registers the speed of the car fine, it's just that the needle sticks.

The display did show 'Type 11' which reading from the provided link signifies the correct 24v mph version.

Does pressing the trip computer button then take you through each of the 'type codes'?

So as I am getting a speed readout in digital form but not via the needle, is this something that exists as a porblem purely within the speedo itself?
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 8:29am »

did you disconnect, ther re connect the battery
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 9:27am »

I had to in order to re-charge the battery, would this reset it?

I should have confirmed that the speedo needle is stuck to the far most right having travelled the full path.  This means that surely all I need to do is some kind of reset that will prompt the needle to return to the starting point.

How do I bring the needle back to the starting pointHuh?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

Re: Speedo Problems (Still Need Help!)
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 9:56am »

Speedo now sorted!
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

Re: Speedo Problems (Now sorted)
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 11:52am »

So what was the problemHuh We are all hanging here in suspense wondering what cured the fault!!

Thunderchild
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

Re: Speedo Problems (Now sorted)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 4:28pm »

Oops, sorry!  Embarassed

I disconnected the battery and left it for about 20 minutes.  After I re-connected the needle still do not reset itself.

I told my brother-in-law and he said when he worked for BMW their trick was to hit the top of the dash-board above the speedo as BMW's suffered with similar problems.

I gave it a couple of hits and the needle freed itself Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.