Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wheel Bearing Crunching »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wheel Bearing Crunching
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wheel Bearing Crunching  (Read 502 times)
mazzy_j

View Profile

Wheel Bearing Crunching
« on: Jan 30th, 2006, 2:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, the rear passenger side wheel bearing gave up on me after a week of abuse, and it just so happened to be at 3am on a freezing saturday morning  Angry

i think what may have contributed to it was trailering my other 'project' scorp from Leicester to essex then doing a night rally on the friday evening. It survived them both and made it 130 miles up the M1 to my turn off at jnct 21, got down to the roundabout at the bottom, halfway round there was a loud crack and lots of grinding from the back.

Nevertheless the boys in yellow picked me up and brought me home sunday evening, went down to the local FMD today and picked up a new bearing for £38.52 and some new discs and pads for the back for £66.88 so not too much wallet damage.  

All i need now is pointing in the direction of the page with the .pdf manual for taking the hub apart as i can't find it on the main site.

Cheers,

Matt
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: Wheel Bearing Crunching
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 3:32pm »

This is a good one to look at:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/rhubs.htm

but think this is the one you wanted:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/suspensionman.htm
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 6:50pm »

Thanks, yes that bottom one is exactly the page i'm after  Smiley

With a bit of persuasion in the form of my trusty hammer the hub is now off to reveal a mess of tapered bearings in what appears to be grease which has turned to a solid gunge. Will give it a good clean up tomorrow and hopefully stick it all back together  Smiley

Matt
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 9:35pm »

Matt, make sure you tighten to the correct torque. Most DIY torque wrenches won't go high enough and make sure you re-check after about 2/300miles. The first thread Dave mentions gives the torque as 200ftlbs.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 9:45am »

Will remember that Simmo thanks. The old bearing is now out of the hub and can only be described as a 'catastrophic failure' in that several of the bearing have disintergated into tiny pieces and the inner race shell has split into 2 Shocked

it does make you wonder though what with 212k on the clock what state the other bearing are in, so i think it would be a wise move to replace the other side while i'm at it.

Matt
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

212 k.... Shocked Shocked
surely not the originals mazzy,must of been changed before..
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 9:43am »

The one i took out wasn't original cos you could see where it had been attacked with a chisel and a hammer to remove the old bearing. Got all reciepts for work done on the car and the owner before me only knew of 1 bearing beaing ever being replaced (the one that failed!).

Had to replace the hub aswell to the tune of £54 inc VAT because the the old bearing had spun and worn the metal down, amazingly Ford even had it stock and not a 3 to 5 days wait.

Matt
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 12:30pm »

Hi
Tried changing rear wheel bearings this morning using two legged puller to remove hub but all this was doing was pushing stub axel backwards, obviously I'm doing something wrong, any ideas on how to remove hub would be much appreciated or is it possible to remove hub from bearing housing with bearing housing off the axel?
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 1:38pm »

Are you following the  helpful   Dave Richards  web page on  rear wheel bearing removal  on  this  site ?

It seems loosening the 4  bearing carrier  housing bolts  will  make hub removal easier.

IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2006, 4:52pm »

Easiest way i found to get the hub off when i did mine was to remove the 4 hub bolts and gently tap the splined shaft in the middle through to free it whilst pulling the hub away from the car. I didn't have to use a puller becuse the bearing was in such a mess it pulled off quite easily.

Matt
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 7:22pm »

Hi  
yes i have followed dave richards and ford manual on how to remove hub/wheel bearings,but still no joy.Maybe there is a special tool to prevent stub axle from sliding backwards.Any help gladly appreciated.
regards  
wayne
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 7:58pm »

Wayne, i replaced both rear wheel bearings in a day after much improvisation.

What exactly is it your trying to do?  Your not being very clear.  What are you trying to remove thats so difficult?
IP Logged
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 8:07pm »

Hi
I have been trying to remove hub from bearing carrier to replace inner/outer wheelbearings.
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14th, 2006, 8:17pm »

Undo 4 Carrier bolts then remove complete carrier including hub.  This will just slide off the splined drive shafts.  Bearings are too much of an interferance fit to enable removal in situ in my opinion.

Take to the bench + either drift out bearings + hub using a heft lump hammer + large socket (as the drift) or take to a Engineers Shop to have them pressed out.  This shouldnt take more than an hour and cost quite little.

I did the former with a hammer.  Took my full weight and full range blows by the hammer to get them out.  Suggest you use an old socket as a drift.

Trying to use a puller against the actual drive-shaft is not a good idea in my opinion as its likely to transfer the force to CV joints, Differential bearings etc.

Just my opinion tho.

Let us know how u get on   Undecided
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 8:14am »

The bearing carrier should just pull off if you undo the four nuts holding it on leaving the splined shaft in place. Never had to use a puller to get the hub bearing carrier off and , but htere is always a first time >
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.