Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuse 13 (Ignition lock) blowing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fuse 13 (Ignition lock) blowing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuse 13 (Ignition lock) blowing  (Read 627 times)
Rowland

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Fuse 13 (Ignition lock) blowing
« on: Feb 15th, 2006, 12:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Extensive and mega expensive work has been done to this Scorpio, including wiring loom replacement and new fuse box.
Now FUSE 13  (20amp)  keeps blowing intermittantly but often enough to destroy all confidence in using the car. It has done more than 500miles and as little as 50 miles before the fuse going, leaving it stranded like a beached whale in the middle of the road. www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fuseboxes.htm shows this fuse as serving 'Ignition lock' but can anyone please help with more detail or clues as to where to look for this fault?

Bob Green
IP Logged

Rowland
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

Re: Fuse 13 (Ignition lock) blowing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15th, 2006, 7:29pm »

OK... this is likely to be a difficult one to find. Firstly what model do you have as the wiring changes across the range? I would start by checking out the wiring which goes up to the ignition switch and look for any evidence of insulation breaking down.  

Does the problem occur when something specific is happening? i.e. when braking, turning the steering wheel, accelerating etc. Might make it easier to pin down.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
Rowland

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 3:52pm »

Thanks for bothering Thunderchild.
It is a 2.3 Auto Ultima. I believe it is a '96 but it is on a cherished plate and I will have to check the paperwork tonight.
The annoying thing is that once having blown the fuse the fault disappears and when a new fuse is put in it is as right as rain again for a while.
IP Logged

Rowland
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:15pm »

Just a thought - are the contacts in the fuse box clean? I know its new but worth a look maybe  Undecided
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 7:23pm »

on Feb 16th, 2006, 3:52pm, Rowland wrote:
and when a new fuse is put in it is as right as rain again for a while.

As its not blowing straight away Is 20 Amp the correct rating for that fuse for your model?
Sounds like its just getting a little too much for the 20 Amp fuse  maybe supposed to be a 25 or a 30 Amp??

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Rowland

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 8:44pm »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I will check the contacts at the weekend
IP Logged

Rowland
Rowland

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 8:47pm »

Highlander. Thanks for the suggestion but my "owners manual" says that Fuse No 13 should be 20 amp.
IP Logged

Rowland
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:13pm »

Has the car had an 'aftermarket alarm' fitted or anything beyond the standard equipment that might be wired in to this circuit and thus overload it when it is used.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Rowland

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:27pm »

The more I read on this web site the more convinced I am that my problem is wet/damp.  
I welcome any more suggestions and will investigating "Drain Holes" this weekend.

The last time the fuse blew was last Monday after my wife had driven approximately 200yds. The car had not been used since the previous Thursday but I washed it on Friday and it stood on the driveway until Monday, it had rained all day Saturday and Sunday.  
The car had travelled approximately 1000 miles since the previous fuse had blown including a 480 mile round trip to Leeds but the weather had been particularly dry and as a norm the car is parked in a car port.

This car was purchased by me when it was 18 months old and had approximately 19000 miles on the clock. It served me well until last June when it went for a service and my garage told me the headcasket had blown. From that diagnoses it has had a new head, new block, new engine wiring harness and new fuse box. Cost approx £3000.

The only other odd thing I can think of at this time is the fact that when I went away at new year on return the car battery was completely flat. When I connected a battery charger the front  lights came on and a relay in the main (drivers side) fuse box buzzed. I disconnected the negative battery cable to recharged the battery and since then I have not had any more problems regarding lights or battery.

I will try to remember details of other problems I have encountered during this very vexing 9 months.

Have a good weekend.
IP Logged

Rowland
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 10:09pm »

Everything you have described points to the fusebox having the dampness problem that we all know about. Yes check the drain holes and make sure that the battery cover has the retaining nut on top... if it's missing it may be allowing water into the fusebox area.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 5:45am »

This link may help re battery drain holes. http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/battery.htm. The fuse box on the battery side contains a relay for the ignition lock could this be the problem. The lids to the fuseboxes need to be correctly fitted as sometimes thare are not actually properly located thus allowing damp in.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 6:09am »

Rowland, received your PM. Suggest you put that info on the site as there may be a clue there for one of our electrical geniuses.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.