Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« misfire »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   misfire
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: misfire  (Read 299 times)
Steve_Farlow

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

misfire
« on: Feb 16th, 2006, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,

Need some more help here! (2lit 16v, 90K)

After my recent post regarding my errant EGR valve, I replaced the 2 rubber hoses and checked for blockages, attached a hose to the vacuum connection and manually checked that the valve was opening/closing, and listened for air leaks whilst the valve was open. . . all to no avail, so I disconnected the valve via it’s vacuum connection and all seemed well. . . . . .or so I thought!

Since disconnecting the valve on Monday night the car had been running great, but went to use it last night and on starting up the engine initially didn’t catch. It caught on the second turn of the key put was lumpier than the wife’s custard! My initial thought was some muck in the petrol so some serious revving followed and the engine seemed a little smoother, but still lumpier than normal, so I gave it a good thrash on the 8 miles home (as one does!). This seemed to help but you could still feel a slight misfire at tick over.

This morning the engine was lumpy from cold, smoother when hot, but again you can still feel a slight misfire at tick over.

Any ideas? Plugs? Coil packs perhaps?

Thanks
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: misfire
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 9:10am »

Hi Steve,

dow did you block off the valve? Is whatever you used still secure? Sounds like it may have slipped or sommat.

Failing that for a misfire you are looking at, starting with the basics:

- spark plugs (check for correct tightness)
- ignition leads
- air/vacuum pipes connected properly
- wiring to coil packs/ignition modules

You haven't washed the engine bay have you?  Grin

HTH
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Steve_Farlow

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 3:08pm »

Well I managed to dodge a couple of lunchtime storms and get the “lid” off the top of the engine for a poke around. Lifting the 2 plug caps with the engine running revealed a reassuring tick, tick, suggesting that the coil packs have an electrical supply and are working. Disconnecting the camshaft sensor however made no difference (just what does the engine management system do with the signal from this?). Also I noted that whilst the engine was extremely lumpy, and was hunting badly from cold, it did appear to improve as the engine warmed up. Also the inlet manifold side of the EGR valve got awfully hot which is a bit weird given that I’ve disconnected it (is it possible that the valve is stuck partially open?) Sad
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:23pm »

Have a look at this page Steve, about a quarter of the way down is a section on the cam sensor:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/eecv.htm

Are all the air filter and vacuum pipes connected securely? Sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere. Not too sure about the egr working to be honest. When I put my 24v back together I left the EGR pipe off the manifold altogether. It was loud - as it had essentially and exhaust blow - but didn't seem to misfire. I didn't actually drive it anywhere at that time though.

Have a look (you may have already) at this page:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm

It does sound EGR related!
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Steve_Farlow

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16th, 2006, 4:33pm »

Thanks Dave,

They don't make it easy do they!!

I shall have another poke around tonight, and see if I can blank off the EGR, if only to rule it out of the equation!

Once again thanks for your help

Steve
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.