Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Electrical problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Electrical problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 1303 times)
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

Electrical problem
« on: Feb 17th, 2006, 10:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a '97 2.3 auto which was left standing for about 3 months.....last night I put the freshly charged battery back on and now I've got electrical gremlins! As soon as I connected the battery the alarm sounded, I rectified this by locking & unlocking the drivers door & switching on the ignigtion. I took her for a run & everything seemed fine, however about 2 hours after locking up the alarm went off. When I went to the car I noticed the the dash & gear selector lights were flickering on.  Have I missed a procedure  or something else when I put the battery back on, for 3 months ago she was running like a dream with no problems??
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 11:31pm »

do you have a battery cover fitted? fuse boxes covered ok? if your car has been standing in heavy or prolonged rain or snow, its possible there is water/moisture in the fuseboxes.

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 11:37pm »

Hi Russ, thanks for your reply.

Yes the battery cover is there & both fuse boxes are tight & seem dry - I checked all the relays & fuses after reading the fault finding guide!

dj
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 11:52pm »

Did you have the ignition on while installing the battery?
try disconnectiing it for a couple of minutes then reconnect it up with the ignition off
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2006, 11:55pm »

Hello Highlander
No, ignition was off with the keys in my pocket! No equipment switched on at the time, I did try again after 30mins but it reacted the same.
dj
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 8:01am »

A common cause of the alarm going off as you describe is the bonnet switch which sits just to the left of the bonnet release catch. The other point to consider is that the alarm horn is situated behind the battery fixed to the bulkhead. Is it possible that a wire may have been disturbed in the process of replacing the battery.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 8:27am »

The alarm-on-when-battery connected it's "normal", mine does that all the time. My neighbors just love me fo that  Grin. When installing the battery, just have all the dors closed and the bonet switch pressed. After connection, as you said, just lock/unlock with the keys. If alarm goes off later than it's an alarm/door/bonet switch. Get a can of contact spray, and some wd40, and clean them. As for the other part of the problem with the lights.....i don't know. As an prevent of fusebox corosion, you could put bags of silica gel over the fuses, it will get the moisture out.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 5:19pm »

Well Guys,
I followed all of your helpful advice........to no avail!
I still have the alarm going off and the dash lights coming on without the key in the ignition Sad
Have checked the drain holes-all are clear, the fuse boxes look dry-have taken the covers off & checked all fuses, no moisture present and cleaned all the door & bonnet contacts.

She & I are going to fall out soon!
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 5:55pm »

Hi DJ,

couple of things to check:

-did you put ALL the small wires back on the battery terminals?

-are the earth straps near the battery clean and tight? They may have got a bit gunged up with standing over winter.

HTH  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2006, 6:04pm »

Hi Dave
Yep, when you say ALL the SMALL wires, hmm there are two positive leads and two negative leads - I checked the earth straps nearest the battery - they seen OK, have stripped the auxillary fusebox - no sign of moisture in it at all!
One positive thing though, after checking all the fuses, we now have working heated seats - just what you need after the winter!
dj
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 7:11am »

DJ, What Dave is referring to is the fact that there is a small wire to the negative terminal which has been known to slip down behind the battery and thus get missed on re-connecting. Worth a check. Did you replace the Fuses? or are you saying that because you have 'played about' with the fuse boxes or wiring around them the seats are now workning?. If it is the latter then that must indicate a poor connection somewhere surely. If you have checked the earth strap is it worth removing it and cleaning the contact points properly. To avoid earache ,from all quarters!!,you could, as a last resort,disconnect the alarm horn.

IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 10:35am »

Simmo, apologies, I should have stated I checked all of the fuses and the one for the heated seats actually had blown - I had (somewhat foolishly) assumed them not working was more serious than a fuse as they did not illuminate with the car's lights as like rear window overide does not light up either.  When I had the battery out I did brush a bit of leaf debris out of the compartment,  however I did not notice a small wire for negaticv connection, as I don't actually remember disconnecting it please forgive my next question - do all scorpios have it i.e. does a 2.3 16v have one?
Thanks
dj
IP Logged
tjp_lawson

I love bob( thats my engine by the way)

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 10:52am »

my 24v only has two wires on the negative one being a small one, are you now saying you have three dj? if your problem is not solved by a missing wire your problem could be power drain in alarm unit from long disconnect, lots of capacitors etc in that unit
IP Logged

tyroe
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 10:58am »

as far as I can see there are two positive and two negative, my question was - is a 2.3 16v meant to have 3 negative, (I had a 2.9 12v before this one and that had a thin negative wire) but as I can't see one one the 2.3 16v is it supposed to have one?
IP Logged
tjp_lawson

I love bob( thats my engine by the way)

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 11:06am »

dont remember my p plate  2.3 having more than two negs watch out for retro fitted hands free kits the bt one that left an aerial in my rear window left loose wires in battery area they had been cut down in footwell i just gave them a tug cause they didnt have professional crimps and they came away in my hand. luckily i didn`t connect them could have caused a short
IP Logged

tyroe
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 11:48am »

DJ. There would appear to be differences from what is being said. I have been out and checked my 2.0ltr 16v and that has the third wire.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 1:37pm »

Thanks for checking thaat Simmo - I'm off to check mine again!
IP Logged
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 3:00pm »

Have checked again, cannot find a third negative wire.
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 3:32pm »

If you have had the battery out of the car check it hasn't become trapped underneath it - easily done!
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
djmutters69

1997 (R) 2.3 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 19th, 2006, 4:40pm »

I've had the battery out again this afternoon to check for the 3rd wire, I can't see it - are you sure the 2.3 16v has one, where can I check?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.