Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 8:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Issue at 70mph! (Edited) Spark Leads »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Issue at 70mph! (Edited) Spark Leads
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Issue at 70mph! (Edited) Spark Leads  (Read 355 times)
DJWerkz

Email

Issue at 70mph! (Edited) Spark Leads
« on: Feb 20th, 2006, 9:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've noticed that when cruising at 70mph there is a strange 'juddering' which I wonder may be a problem I have seen refered to before on this forum as the 'cattlegrid' effect.  Not experienced any other types of juddering at any other speed, in fact if you increase the cruising speed to about 75mph it goes away.

You really notice it when in cruise control, but the other interesting thing is that if you leave the car in cruise but then press the green 'over-drive' button on the auto gear lever so that it kicks down a gear, the 'juddering' goes away.

Any advice welcome Wink
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

Re: Issue at 70mph!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had the same problem on a trip a few weeks ago....oddly enough turned out to be spark plugs..a new set sorted the problem out .
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 10:08am »

Only just put new spark plugs in!  NGK platinum tips...
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2006, 2:38pm »

I went out and had a quick look under the bonnet this morning and noticed that the spark plug lead on cylinder 5 was not sitting nice and snug in the hole.

I pulled the lead out and visually checked inside the hole and it apears that the connector was slightly bent at an angle, which I can only assume stopped it from being seated properly on the spark plug body.

I tried to straighten it as best I could with pin-nose pliers but it's not great.

I was wondering if anyone has any good advice on high-quality aftermarket spark plug leads?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 10:25am »

Have been looking at the Magnecor 8mm spark plug leads online this morning, seem like a very good replacement for the old factory leads.

Anyone else on here use these?  What improvements did you notice, if any?
IP Logged
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Issue at 70mph! (Edited) Spark Leads
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello DJW
I,ve also been looking at Magnecor - but not listed for 24V BOB.
Have sent e-mail to motorsportworld - but no response yet.
Have you had better luck
david
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2006, 11:22pm »

Yes I have, the 8mm wire set is Magnecor part number 60110, which I am assured is the correct set for the 24v BOB engine.

They also do a set for race tuned engines, this is their model KV85, part number 65110.

Check the Magnecor web site and look in the pdf. pages on 'which leads for my car'. Wink

I have a contact who can get me some, not sure how much discount he is going to get me.
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:04am »

will these wondeful all singing leads actually make any improvement at all?  

At the end of the day, the spark ignites the fuel and if alls well, the engine runs.  The engine management detects unburnt fuel + adjusts accordingly, so theorecticaly, any diffenerence (if any) wouldnt be noticeable?

Comments?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:19am »

Well I was under the impression that any spark plug lead must not have a greater resistance than 20k ohms, but with age, heat damage, metal conductor degredation the resistance can greatly increase therefore resulting in poor electrical conduction (which seems to be the case looking at my old leads), which in this case would generate a weak spark.

This could be why some owners experience a whole manner of idling and performance issues.

For one, my own leads are original and must now be 10 years old, in any book I think that's well due a change.  It they were much newer then I would have serious doubts on changing them for a different lead as long as the original ones were working OK.

But then again, I am a great believer in cables making a huge difference to many electrical applications, whether it be in this scenario or in others,...like my audio system Wink
IP Logged
leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:37am »

so you do reckon they make a difference then. lol  Wink

how do the aftermarket ones compare to the Ford prices? I expect Fords are manufactured by Motorcraft or someone anyway?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:09pm »

Having not spent any time experimenting in making aftermarket modifications to the Scorpio I can't comment on whether they make any difference, but having spent time modifying other cars (Trans Am, Chevy Suburban), I did find that certain brands did make a difference,...but the it should be said that it was not just cables that were changed, they were just part of a wider improvement.

But my gut feeling is that 'some' leads will make the difference.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.