Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« any tips on seat cleaning »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   any tips on seat cleaning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: any tips on seat cleaning  (Read 427 times)
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

any tips on seat cleaning
« on: Mar 1st, 2006, 9:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

we got this car last week and the fount seats are very dirty the seats are light colour and leather i hve a bottle of auto glym will this do  the job , and is it gd or is there any thing better than this ?  Wink
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Re: any tips on seat cleaning
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:44pm »

Hi Sally,
I have used the auto glym before and found it better at protecting the leather than actually cleaning it. I tend to use it once a month or so after giving the seats a clean.
To clean them I use a product called leather cherish care. This stuff came with our new leather 3piece. all you do is put a bit in some warm water and wipe away.
And as an added bonus it actualy smells like leather which is always nice  Grin
IP Logged
stan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 10:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi sally-think this is down to personal preference-i used saddle soap the 1st time on seats,then after that gliptone cleaner and there leather conditioner(which puts the smell of leather back)not keen on auto glym products,but that's just my view
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 1:01am »

hi sally,
if you've got a motorbike shop near you they should stock plenty of leather care products such as liquid niqwax (spelling?)...........
IP Logged

Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:44am »

I looked into this when I got my leather seats - apparently use hot water to clean, not lots - just enough to lift the dirt, wipe dry and then use a conditioner.  

Makes sense - after all it was a skin once! Wink

Goes without saying - try it on a small patch first!

Worked on mine with no adverse affects!

Dave
IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 8:00am »

Agree Stan

Autoglym is a conditioner and tends to leave seat overly shiney.

Turtle wax also do a good product which is good once they are clean, it is part of their "Platinum Series" Leather cleaner and conditioner.

If you go over your seats once a month they will look band new all the time and it also helps to prevent cracking on areas like the the driver side bolster.

that's how i clean mine, see pictures
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=OT;action=displa y;num=1137945524

If you do have noticeable wear or cracking on bolsters etc, a good tip is to use a small amount of black (on raven leather) boot wax, and rub in well, then apply conditioner over the top, this helps to seal it in, and covers it up well.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:11pm »

thanks for ur replies, i will start of with what daven said about the hot water ie a hot damp cloth,and then ill use the the turtlewax conditioner wot locky said i looked at ur pic locky and wow ur car look gd wots ur secret lol mine is the same colour i think and it seem to need waxing or a polish up after every wash as it dry up all smearylol is the inside gleaming as well as the out side ?it will be a while till mine get like that but hopefully i will some day soon. still reading the posts saddle soap may do the job gd , but when i use to use it for ma bridle and sadles they use to feel a bit sticky to touch  Roll Eyesbut it could poss work, if the plain hot water ant enough thanks for that reminder stan,
IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:29pm »

Sally, the interior pics are on the second page. Wink  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=OT;action=displa y;num=1137945524;start=15

What do you use to was your car?

What's my secret??........ahh that would be telling Cheesy but it does involve lots of polish then lots of wax over 3 or 4 stages, and an understanding wife, how lets me spend countless hours in the garage Grin

Saddle soap will leave it slightly tacky to the touch but it will disapear when the conditioner is applied.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:43pm »

turtlewax wash and wax, cool baby seat  Wink mine is the pumice leather very light
IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:54pm »

Pumice leather, very nice, but shows up marks.  with regular cleans / conditions it will come up like new, just going to take a bit TLC.

If your paint looks dull and streaky and needs polished after every wash, then I would suggest trying a clay bar.  This will removed all deposits and contamints that bond to the paint, which polishing doesn't remove.

Meguiars do one, you basically get a lubrication spray and a lump of yellow clay.  Wash the car down, spray on the lubricant, and rub the clay along the line of the panel, as it goes along it picks up all the grime and holds it in the clay.  You will see the clay getting dirty, so you need to turn it every now and then, until the whole car is done.  Then repolish and wax.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 9:29pm »

locky thanks for that , yes it shows every make on the leather lol and i think it will take a while to get rid of the ingrind dirt in the creases but ill hve a gd go at it ,
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:05pm »

Locky,
that is one tidy machine, Since I made room in the garage to get mine in and do the egr I thought I would do some cleaning under the bonnet. I was actualy quite happy with what I did but after looking at your pics its not that good afterall lol.
think perhaps many more hours should be set asside for cleaning (hope the missus doesnt read this)
Its funny aint it, the more hours the car gets the less attention we get in the bedroom. Huh
Please dont tell me this just happens to me!!!! Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.