Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:11am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wierd, one to watch for! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wierd, one to watch for!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wierd, one to watch for!  (Read 676 times)
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

Wierd, one to watch for!
« on: Mar 6th, 2006, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

The most weird brakedown I have had.
About 8 months ago I posted that I was experiencing a clunk, clatter, crunch sound from my near side rear and thought is was a CV. I got home OK and  jacked the car up pulled twisted, checked for loose wheel bearings all seemed well.
Next day got my son in the back and away I drove.....no noise whatever...
Ok for about 2mths then noticed it again, but after jacking up the fault vanished again........

Well last Thursday about two miles from home I lost all drive with a crunching noise......arrrgggg!
 A friend towed me home with horrible noises from the rear...
Left it in the drive wondering how much a Diff or UJ's were going to set me back or was it even worth repairing.....

Today after the snow had gone I peeped under....................................

To my disbelief I saw the offside drive shaft completely disconnected from the Diff yet amazingly all the bolts were still there not sheared or damaged....never mind Luck the Dog!!!!

I have never worked on the shaft and niether had the previous owner that is about 30k of past history...

So I ask, is this a one off or has this happened to anyone else?

One more thing to check on a service.....

The car is now back on the road after half an hours work.....GREAT! Grin

Cheers

John
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Wierd, one to watch for!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 7:54pm »

The bolts had been put on and then the drive shaft?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 9:30pm »

Nope you're not alone, very similar situation here. Driving, bang from rear, crunch crunch head in hands thinking very expensive thoughts etc.... turned out the splines on the drive shaft  had sheared hence no drive Sad.  My shaft didn't come out though and everything looked as it should underneath so took a while to find. I to had never done any work on drive shafts of any other car I previously owned so my scorp gave me a first in this respect, this now makes two, perhaps it is something worth adding to the check list as a matter of caution. Solved my prob replacing parts from another not so fortunate scorpio
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 9:35pm »

Two different things though?

I think Wudz is saying someone has not bolted the driveshaft back on to the diff but just inserted it on the splines
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 9:44pm »

HuhSplines in cv joint - cv bolts to diff- diff drives wheels. If the car lost drive because someone hadn't bolted to diff then how could it have re-attatched for it to be driven again with son in back Huh Huh
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 9:49pm »

Hi,

Yep, the six bolts on the diff side, done around 10k since I had it and the previous owner around 25k and to his knowledge no work had been carried out on the drive shafts...

So either over many k the bolts had come loose as I have towed a caravan around 2k since I have had her(or should that be him!) .I have looked at the boots and they seem original.  

The bolts are on the correct side to be unscrewed by the drive direction if they had not been torqued up some years previously.

It may just be wise to check  when next under your car....just in case...

Just very lucky that they had not sheared on the last bit of thread...just dam perculiar for  6 bolts to come out and not be damaged.... great for me though.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 9:55pm »

Just a quickie, there are no splines, it is a flat plate to flat plate six bolt connection hence the shaft had just rested on part of the rubber suspension stop..
N reg 2ltr estate.

Cheers

John
IP Logged
Silver_Poppy

The HEAT is on!!!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 10:02pm »

Hi wudz, understand now Roll Eyes all these insertions and splines, enough to make your head spin. Just one thing to add, before you bolted the drive back together were the mating surfaces cleaned and a sealant applied, if not the dreaded water/dirt could get in and cause cv damage
Cheers Smiley  
S.P.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2006, 11:54pm »

Worse than the wife keep finding me jobs!!!! Wink

I will get under again this weekend as I only had a cheap torx set and will have to give em a good yank to make sure, in fact I may just add a little nut lock compound....

Thx for that..

Cheers

John
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 12:08am »

Just to help understand the issue fully I will take photo of the offending area for others to check..just to enlighten the problem...the reason I could drive upto the thing dropping off is the same a wheel nuts coming loose.. the warning is a grating type crunch as the two parts wriggle about.

When it first was noticed was after I had been to he tip with old bricks in the back and the second time was after I had unhiched the caravan..Now being wise after the event, both would cause the drive shaft angle of the Diff/CV/Wheel connection. I think as the suspension slowly came back it opened up the already loose joint which must have aligned/ tightened when I jacked the car up to look for the offending crunch....so there we have it......worth checking just in case...

Cheers

John
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 8:46am »

use locktite on the bolts, make sure they are clean first, common problem with lobro type joints, idealy use new bolts also.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 9:11am »

Thanks for that Martin, I have just got back from the motor spares shop with tube of locking compound was going to do it this morning but the rain came, stopped play.....

Cheers

john
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 10:23pm »

Had this happen to  me  many moons ago  in   my  2.3  Granny,   just   pootling  along   at  15 mph  through  North  Queensferry    ( god knows what would've  happened had I been doing  70 mph )    when  all  of a sudden  no   drive,  no bangs  or  crunches,   just  stranded.   The guy  behind  me  said  that  the  driveshaft   just     quietly   parted   company  with the diff   with the result that all the  bolts were strewn  all over  the street , I picked them all up  (  not even damaged ) .    The helpful chap towed me to a car park  where,  with much  difficulty as it was getting dark    and  my   good  clothes  getting filthy,    I  put  them  all   back   in.
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 7th, 2006, 10:39pm »

If you think about it all the bolts have to come out at the same time and this is the weird thing they all unscrewed at the same rate.....If one or perhaps two were still partially intacked with the torque involved it would ripped them right off.....must have been designed by FORD to occur as it did Wink Wink..

So it does seem that it is a check too make if the floor is clean Grin

Thanks again....thought I was the choosen one.... Cheesy

Cheers
john
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.