Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Re: From car to shed »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Re: From car to shed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: From car to shed  (Read 1145 times)
paulscorp

Email

« on: Mar 8th, 2006, 2:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You've worked so hard of late, Andy, it would be a shame to throw it all away so soon

Don't give up yet

regards

Paul
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 6:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 7th, 2006, 11:13pm, leftofcentre wrote:

Have to confess my interest in the Ford Scorp is starting to wane.

Dont get me wrong, when the motor is going well i love the car, however it has to be said, some of the build quality is pretty poo when one considers what this car cost from new.

Considering my options at the mo  Embarassed

Blue LED dash, DVD + all that bollocks, its reliability i'm truly after.   Sad

I have to say, I really do know how you feel. And I agree with what you say about build quality etc.
I still consider my options on a daily basis to be honest, but I'm sticking with it... for now at least.

Looking at your list of problems, I would say that although frustrating, there's nothing too major wrong with it. Apart from no.4 - dunno what that could be  Undecided

IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
stan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 8:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"octavian p said on 3/7/06  Mine has about 92.000 (miles), was trashed by prevoius owners but, not i have found her, it found me, and we are happy  . I hope someday it will be like the day it camed out of factory"    leftofcentre  if your that unhappy with her and all her faults sell her.there always somebody like octavian-p happy to adopt and give her a better life with love and stability!  Grin  
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 10:56am »

Leftofcentre, don't be  tempted  to desert us, these feelings of despair will pass. Kiss

The windscreen  heater  is  summat you can live without for  11 months of the year  ( even in Scotland )  mine has never worked  and is not worth replacing  just for the  heater  to work, ditto the sunroof.  Petrol smell  could be  a leaky  tank or  fuel filter.
IP Logged
JBjorling

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 12:25pm »

You've probably already checked this, but I'll say it anyway.

Have you checked the oil-filter for leakage? It takes a very little amount of oil dripping on the wrong place for it to smell really awful.

Have you checked the engine oil? Do you have to fill oil a little to often? Weird smell or residue in the engine oil?

Have you checked the top oil-"plug" sealant? Check the entire engine for oil-leaks and oil-residue. Also check the transmission for oil-leak.

For example: I worked on my fathers Mondeo last christmas because he was complaining about oil-smell. It wasn't leaking oil that I could see, but I took it for a test drive and almost immediately it started to smell like burnt oil. I tooked it into the garage and jacked it up. Still there was no apparent leak but I could see some residue on the exhaust-pipe (I think It's called a downpipe), so I waited and looked, and with the engine running (not jacked at the moment) I saw an oil-drop about once a minute coming from the filter. Bought a new filter and oil, drained the engine-oil, filled with new oil, filled the new filter with oil and put it back on place.

I also cleaned the exhaust (downpipe?) and took the car for a spin... problem gone!

My point is... even the smallest leaks of oil in the wrong place is enough for it to stink upp pretty bad.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 7:58am »

hi there

good point about a very small oil leak. maybe a plastic bag caught on the exhaust?

are both a/c drain pipes fitted and have their 1 way valves in them. have you cleaned them?
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdrain.htm

re. heated windscreen. do you have fully comp insurance? make a claim for a new w/screen at a cost of £50-£75, without losing NCD.

re petrol smell. usually a hole somewhere in the tank. it's an age/location thing. more of a pain to change than anything hard.

hth
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:10am »

Re window - had this on second hand door I purchased following side impact (80 year old missile!) The gear had a bent tooth - maybe from someone trying to force the window! Easy to replace if it is!

Re Smell - Pollen filter?

When you think about it - that's not a bad list for a 10 year old car that is as nice as the Scorpio (IMO) Wink

Good luck and keep with it!

Dave
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 6:21pm »

Leaking matrix can start all sorts of strange smells.

This may sound strange but it is worth giving carpets a spray with Febreeze but use the Anti-bacterial version.

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 7:42pm »

on Mar 8th, 2006, 8:06am, stan wrote:
"octavian p said on 3/7/06  Mine has about 92.000 (miles), was trashed by prevoius owners but, not i have found her, it found me, and we are happy  . I hope someday it will be like the day it camed out of factory"    leftofcentre  if your that unhappy with her and all her faults sell her.there always somebody like octavian-p happy to adopt and give her a better life with love and stability!  Grin  

Should i give you my list of problems.....i think i'll be writing till tomorow. The bad thing is that the parts i need are so expensive regarding my montly income that i should get 3 jobs at once so in an year or two i could bring it to the "brand new ultima state".  

PS: you all got e-bay, scorpio breakings, etc. I only got 2 FMD dealers and some notorious quality "compatible" part dealers that have a price with 5% less than the main dealers. Also the blasted regulation of my blasted country....impose some stupid taxes for engines bigger than 2.000 ccm. In one year romania should enter europe. The new car dealers with the goverment of romania plan to introduce a tax for "used cars" of about 2.000 to 7.000 euros. This applies for euro 2 emission cars !!!! So if i ever want to buy a second hand scorpio let's say from germany, it'll cost me easy over 10.000-15.000 euros. Computing my montly income of less than 500 euros, how much it'll take to buy a used car. The same rule apply for mainating the scorpio or adding extras to it. A car DVD for example it's "only" about 2.000 euros. A 5000 RDS unit it's 800 euros, same price apply to a cd changer. A scorpio full tank of gas it's about  70 euros. A remote control for the original alarm it's 250 euros. A second hand ABS pump goes to 500 euros (and only found 1 in 1 year). A steering rack reaches to 1.500 euros. I don't eaven want to think what could cost a set of engine heads or shock absorbers.  

So leftofcentre i thnink your lucky. I always dreamed of the great cossie machine and that smooth auto-gearbox.

Sorry if i have upset somebody, just had to get that out of my chest.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:08pm »

Need any parts sent over?  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:15pm »

Thanks Highlander

Yes a few scorpios  Grin will do  Grin. I hope i'll be able to pay more at the bank to decrese my loan, than i'll have more money left and probably i'll contact you for some bits and bobs  Grin

thanks again mate

PS: in my scorpio madness i have found at least 4 members for our ford club in romania, on 11-th this mounth we should meet (at least 3 of us). I'll get back with the pictures at the meetings corner  Grin

Cheers
IP Logged

nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:52pm »

on Mar 9th, 2006, 8:08pm, Highlander wrote:
Need any parts sent over?  Grin

ill also help sending ebay parts over to you!

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:01pm »

Thank you thank you, now we need to convince leftofcentre to keep his scorpio  Grin
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:26pm »

I  sometimes  find  my  mind   wandering  towards  the more   modern  Omegas ,   Mercedes  E280 Elegance,  Lexus,   and even   ( don't laugh )   the  rather attractive  mid-Atlantic    big   Hyundai  XG30,   but  the Scorpio will always be in my heart .

(   Cue  Celine Dion  )
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:24am »

Well you see now, that the scopio knew you are cheating it, that's way it made you a surprise, now she wants a new bumper  Grin
IP Logged

locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 2:02pm »

I still keep in contact with the guy, I bought my Scorpio from.

He bought an Omega, and I can tell you....... he don't like it.   He wants another Scorpio but his work dictates what cars he buy's, fuel economy and all that.

His actual words were "once you've had the cream...... nothing else will do"

He aslo sent me this message after I posted pictures on GSO

"Thanks for the pictures my Scorpy, oops sorry I mean your Scorpy. I had just about got over it when you sent me the photos, now I'm back on the dietry suppliments as I'm not eating properly.
Seriously though, the car looks truly fantastic and I'm really glad you are happy with it.

Hope the family are well.

Best regards,

Richard"

IMO, the Omega is a really nice looking car, until you get inside, and you are faced with a acre of cheap, slab sided GM plastic and plasticy looking leather.

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:08pm »

........ like I say,   it's the little things ,   puddle lights,  dipping passenger door mirror  in  reverse,  global closing ,    a   classy   motor  for  couple  of  grand.  

IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 9:24am »

I beleive, the exterior was the  most slated feature at the time, due to it's very radical styling.  I don't recall anyone complaning about the interior Undecided

Even J Clarkson was quite impressed by the interior with the added bonus that he didn't have to look at the front of the car whilst sitting in his "comfy armchair".

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.