Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Water in the main fuse/relay box »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Water in the main fuse/relay box
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Water in the main fuse/relay box  (Read 963 times)
tipierre

Estate 2.0 16v - 1995

View Profile

Water in the main fuse/relay box
« on: Mar 8th, 2006, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

As the rain come came back, I had strange behaviour with the car. The alarm went ON...the are some telltale switch on on the dashborad. I check my fuse bax and there is water inside. The cover has a hole 2cm wide...I protected the fuse box this morning just by putting a plastic bag above the hole but I like to know what should I remove the humidity of the fuse box. Should I dry it with an hair dryer ?
I think it is what what cause the failure with the locking system this time the car started and ran ok.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: Water in the main fuse/relay box
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 10:45am »

Chances are that  damage has been done,  copper and water  don't  mix ,  you must replace or repair  the  fuse box cover,   do you  have  the important  rainwater  cover on the passenger side  too ?
IP Logged
tipierre

Estate 2.0 16v - 1995

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 11:00am »

No problem with my battery it is covered
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 5:46pm »

When i bought my scorp, the main fusebox had something like half of inch full of dry mud.....wasn't nice to see, took a full day to clean without getting water inside...drain holes where full of dirt also. So check thoes also, because water could also ingress from the down side of the box (beside the hole in in you case).

Cheers
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
shaun

shaun

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:38pm »

water is a pain for scorpios ive rebuilt 2 fuse boxes for frends water allways sits on leavel 5 in the fuse box . have a go at rebuilding one its not that bad 5 hours the last one took me .no more probs after,,, Tongue
IP Logged

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/shau
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 9:44pm »

As a countermeasure i have added something like 20 tea-size bags of silica gel in each fuse box. Now they are nice and dry   Wink
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Malcolm B

1998 Cosworth Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 7:21pm »

I read this as I was wondering why my 24v is doing strange electrical things -  like discharging the battery overnight and the dash warning lights and fuel indicator etc staying on when I turn the ignition off. is this a fuse box symptom ?  My boxes look very dry - always keep them clear of leaves etc.  Which box woudl have the problem ?

Any advice welcomed
IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 7:40pm »

Sounds like classic symptoms.  Is the battery cover fitted.  Usually the main fuse box that goes, next to the wiper motor.

The boxes may look dry from the top, but it's underneath that corroded.

Plenty of posts about this topic on here, use "search"

hth
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 8:20pm »

malcolm b my 24v did that turned out to be the wireing harness that runs down by the servo and along the chassis leg,the covering on the wires had fell to bits,plus the harness was warm to touch,check it asap
solarpanel
IP Logged
Malcolm B

1998 Cosworth Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 8:41pm »

Thanks for the advice. I know I have the "bad" wiring harness. I repaired the front part in front of the radiator 3 years ago and all has been well since - 'till now ! actually having found it - that was not a great expense.

Hopefully this is repairable also.

I do squirt WD40 under the fuse boxes and keep their drain holes clear. the cover has always been in place. Is there a test for fuse boxes ?

IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:21am »

Hi Malcolm if you have time I have a spare fuse box that you could, try pm me.

Regards Kenboy
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 3:35pm »

how do you get the main fuse box off the carHuh
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:41pm »

REPLY TO:  MALCOLM B

Before you go messing with the main fusebox try pulling out a few relays or fuses to help isolate the fault.

Until yesterday my diesel exec had an intermittent fault where the handbrake and oil pressure lights would glow dimly when the ignition was turned off.  Also the glowplugs wouldn't work.  It didn't happen all the time but was disconcerting!  More worryingly, the cooling fans never worked, no matter how hot the engine, and even with the air-con running.

Earlier in the week I found that removing either the fuse or the relay for the cooling fans cured the fault.  Yesterday I was gently pulling the loom where it passes in front of the radiator (to get some more slack in the engine bay) and it sparked and smoked!!!  Shocked  Needless to say I quickly disconnected the battery and then cut back the insulation on the loom.  The main feed to the fan relay had cracked in several places and some of the smaller cables were just a molten mess.

Still, at least it's an easy job to strip back enough insulation until you find undamaged cables and then cut out the damaged section and replace, and at last I've gotten to the bottom of the intermittent fault - cooling fan now runs ok (the other is broken) and no more problems with dash lights and glowplugs.  Smiley

Incidentally, I've removed and dismantled my battery fuse box (called the aux. fuse box in the owner's manual) - can't see how it would get wet inside (with or without the battery cover fitted) as it has foam rubber seals between the bottom, middle and top - should only be a problem if the lid isn't clipped down tightly following removal  Huh

Darren
IP Logged
Malcolm B

1998 Cosworth Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 10:33pm »

reply to Sector 9.

Many thanks for that. Your message struck a chord as I had replaced the permanent +ve feed for the fans a year ago. i was away this week so a friendly auto elec has replaced the fuse box kindly supplied by Kenboy but I also asked him to look at that loom area and sure enough, close by where it was repaired 3 years ago ( gear box jumping  / OD light etc) - yet more dodgy looking stuff. So he was replacing the whole front section.  
Because of the previous repair  I always glance at this when the bonnet is open - but always looks dry. How does the water get in there ?  ( drivers side )
many thanks
Malcolm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.