Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« strange noise getting more strange »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   strange noise getting more strange
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: strange noise getting more strange  (Read 300 times)
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

strange noise getting more strange
« on: Mar 14th, 2006, 7:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

there is a blowing chuffing noise coming from engine areawhen engin is under load, if u park up and rev the car it cant be heard from any where! would any one hve any clues as to what this is ? sally  Cry Cry
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: strange noise
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 8:52pm »

Sounds like a cracked manifold  Undecided
maybe a leak in the exhaust/cats?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 9:00pm »

on Mar 14th, 2006, 8:52pm, Highlander wrote:
maybe a leak in the exhaust/cats?
would the noise be there on heavy reving i took the revs high ? it do sound a little in that area when driving ,  
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 9:17pm »

Yep, sounds like a manifold
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 9:29pm »

I recently replaced a cracked manifold on mine. It had gone pretty much right the way around it.

When the car was cold, it sounded like a tractor and the noise stayed the same when revving.  
The noise only disappeared when the thing had warmed up and the crack sealed itself up.

Get yourself a small mirror to look up, down & around the manifolds to check them. Its tight for space though.

Cracked Manifold
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 9:56pm »

on Mar 14th, 2006, 9:29pm, Paul B wrote:
I recently replaced a cracked manifold on mine. It had gone pretty much right the way around it.

When the car was cold, it sounded like a tractor and the noise stayed the same when revving.  
The noise only disappeared when the thing had warmed up and the crack sealed itself up.

Get yourself a small mirror to look up, down & around the manifolds to check them. Its tight for space though.

Cracked Manifold
 this is where it is weird no matter how hard i rev the car it cant be heard from out side at all , did urs start  off like that ? can only hear it whilst driving  
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 10:05pm »

Mine just started as a sort of chuffing/clacking sound. You could hear inside or outside the car though and it was just as noticeable on tickover as anything else.

I would say that if the manifold was cracked, the noise would be more evident when cold, as mine was.
IP Logged

bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 5:05pm »

on Mar 14th, 2006, 10:05pm, Paul B wrote:
Mine just started as a sort of chuffing/clacking sound. You could hear inside or outside the car though and it was just as noticeable on tickover as anything else.

I would say that if the manifold was cracked, the noise would be more evident when cold, as mine was.

nope cant hear it only when driving cant hear while coasting down hill either only under preasure ?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 10:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would say that this is the problem I have with my car (I listed a post on 'Ticking Noise).

I find that the noise on my car is only evident wne driving and accelerating, it is not evident when standing on the drive revving the car.

I plan on getting down to STN's place soon, hopefully in April for him to check it,...see if I can afford some new manifolds/exhaust system if that is indeed the problem.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 10:58pm »

on Mar 15th, 2006, 10:42pm, DJWerkz wrote:
I would say that this is the problem I have with my car (I listed a post on 'Ticking Noise).

I find that the noise on my car is only evident wne driving and accelerating, it is not evident when standing on the drive revving the car.

I plan on getting down to STN's place soon, hopefully in April for him to check it,...see if I can afford some new manifolds/exhaust system if that is indeed the problem.
it could be the same noise we are hearing as thats wot i keep thing may be its come lose at the manifold but  y cant it be heard on tick over could it be a gasket slightly gone so it only sucks in air underpreasure and thats when it make the noise ?
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 11:21pm »

on Mar 14th, 2006, 7:46pm, bootiful-scorpios wrote:
there is a blowing chuffing noise coming from engine areawhen engin is under load, if u park up and rev the car it cant be heard from any where! would any one hve any clues as to what this is ? sally

Mine does that to, in my case is the flexi-hose that connects the pipe form the cat with the rest of the exaust, and also some "perforations" in the system.  
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 6:16pm »

the noise do go quiter when the car is fully warm  Wink
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 6:24am »

on Mar 16th, 2006, 6:16pm, bootiful-scorpios wrote:
the noise do go quiter when the car is fully warm  Wink

So it could be a manilfold then...

on Mar 14th, 2006, 8:52pm, Highlander wrote:

on Mar 14th, 2006, 10:05pm, Paul B wrote:

IP Logged

bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 9:55pm »

ive had the exhaust and manifold checked and double checked and nothing was found in that area  Huh

the noise is gettin worse when first starting up on choke ,  to me it sound like a car with a exhaust about to drop off  Huh      

i can also hear a matalic metal sound on turn over ,  there is no cam knocking noise ,  

yesterday after they said there is nothing wrong with the exhaust  , i starting thinking wot an earth can it be so mabe head gasket  Huh so i quickly said can u do a oil and filter change  for me and they did, no water in the oil ! the oil change was on my list to do any way so another job done there . the only thing they did notice was that my radiator is leaking wot i alread did know about, thay said maybe it could be drawing in air on that and thats wot is causing the noise untill the engin get  warm !! could this be a possibility Huh  

its getting a bit frustrating being told nothing wrong at all a lovely sounding car !! i did think as well that if the oil was drained out the engin would be cold by the time they put the new oil in , but nope even then she didnt make her horrid noise ! i just thought typical  ,   Angry
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

Re: strange noise getting more strange
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:30pm »

Cry help  Cry
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:37pm »

Interesting indeed as I thought mine had a similar noise which I swear is exhaust related, although mine has not got worse,...yet!

Best thing is maybe give STN a call at Powercraft Engineering and maybe think about taking a drive to Devon for a weekend Wink  That's what I'm going to do with mine, saves all the speculation.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:49pm »

i dont dear take the car to far at the mo  Embarassed  devon is miles from me ,(it sound horrid ) i do keep looking at the meets hoping there will be one quite close to home , so far i think kent is the closest , also i hve notice the car is losing a little power up hill , hve urs?
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:59pm »

I have some uneven idling at tick-over but I suspect that is down to some vacuum issues.  I need to get down to Devon just so I can get a final look-over from the expert Wink

Power seems OK, but I can say that the recent purchase of Magnacor spark leads made a big difference, but then my stock ones were pretty shot.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 11:07pm »

thats  wot i was thinking plugs firing on 5 maybe till the car get warm but she idli fine not up and down at all , and ther is no jummpy miss when driving ,
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:50am »

I wonder if this could be something to do with the EGR valve at its connection to the exhaust manifold. Worth a look at least - its at the back of the engine, down at the drivers side exhaust manifold. Can you smell fumes on start up under the bonnet from that area?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.