Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Dodgy Bleeder! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Dodgy Bleeder!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dodgy Bleeder!  (Read 314 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Dodgy Bleeder!
« on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had a muck about with my brakes yesterday afternoon.

Managed to swap the rear calipers - my old ones are nicely seized in the handbrake department. And I put on some new second-hand ones, which seem to work quite nicely.

Removal of calipers isn't too much of a problem, but what a pig of a job it is to detach (and re-attach) the handbrake cables!  
Sussed it in the end though. Its pretty near impossible to do one side of the car at a time. Basically, everything needs to be off in order to gain enough slack.

Anyway... after changing those, I took on the task of pumping through all the old fluid (good job I saved a couple of Dolmio jars eh?) I reckon it was time it was done because it was pretty black  Shocked
So, with old fluid out, it was in with the new stuff (a nicer colour... kinda like urine Wink )

Now, I did the old bleeding thing, with the missus in the driver's seat, while I watch the tubing and say "Down....Up" more times than I care to remember. Did that on each wheel until I could only see clear fluid coming through. To my mind that shoud be it. But the brakes are really quite crap now. Handbrake feels like it'll be fine after a bit more adjustment, but the foot brake is awful.
Have I missed anything, or do I just need to bleed again?

Many thanks to PaulScorp for the calipers. I'll sort you out for those sometime soon  Smiley
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Dodgy Bleeder!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:13am »

Paul, Have you read through the links on this page?. http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/brakesmanual.htm. There does seem to be a particular 'system' for either replacing the fluid or bleeding the brakes.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:16am »

Did have a look a few days ago. Should have printed it all out perhaps?  Undecided

Maybe I'll have another look at things tonight when I have more time.

By the way, I noticed in the manual it says "Absolute hygene must be observed when working with brake fluid".
I had a shower and combed my hair before I started, but I'm not sure it made any difference!  Undecided

Wink
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:40am »

Try running the engine so that you get the assistance of the servo .... It might also be worth using a power bleed system... you can get them from MOST good spares/accesories shops.

But you sound as though you are doing right.

You should start at the wheel furthest from the MASTER cylinder and work back to it.  
Does sound also that there is still some air in the system which can happen.  
If the brakes work OK but the pedal feels low or spongy use the car for a couple of days and then re-bleed the brakes that sometimes helps as the air bubbles collect nto bigger ones and make it easier.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 12:52pm »

Are the replacement calipers  reconditioned or just  taken from a scrapped  Scorp ?  sorry, but  they  might just  be  rubbish  Embarassed

I find these " One Man Bleeding kits "  really good ,    I  bled   3   wheels recently ( I couldn't get the bleed nipple of the 4th  wheel  untightened, dammit !)  in 30 minutes, perfect result,  nice   hard  pedal  and   pulls up in a straight line.
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 7:12pm »

PaulB

When i had my rear calipers replaced for the M.O.T there was some instructions in the box stating how they should be fitted, i think it was something like fit and bleed the brakes before fitting and adjusting the handbrake cable, so that the auto adjusters are set properly before the handbrake is fitted.  I must admit this is a different way of fitting than what i have had to do in the past.  If i hadn't seen these instructions and been fitting them myself i would have just fitted them, handbrake too and then bled them.

Sorry mate, not trying to make  you to suck eggs or anything but we're all guilty of not reading instructions when we do things.

HTH

Fitzy  Wink Grin Wink

IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 8:41pm »

Snoopy... I had the engine running whilst doing the bleeding as you suggested. And by the sound of it, I even did them in the right sequence.
I have driven the car for a bit tonight, and they feel... ok. That's it really, they're ok. But I reckon the Scorpio brakes are great usually. These are a bit soft on the pedal too. But I'll bleed them a bit more to get 'em right.

Mr Floppy... the calipers came from a breaking 2.3 estate I believe, but are the same part. I don't they are rubbish. In fact, they appear far better than my originals.

Fitsy... I know what you mean about instructions - they're usually the first thing we chuck away!  
But, as it happens, I have left the handbrake slightly unadjusted. Really wasn't bothering until the footbrake was right. But already, it is working much better than it did before   Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.