Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cosworth wont start »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cosworth wont start
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cosworth wont start  (Read 579 times)
Rev_Tech

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Cosworth wont start
« on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 24V Cosworth which belongs to my Brother it originally had the OD light flashing so he DROVE it into a garage in Newcastle to be fixed. it was rewired & checked out many times but no joy 1 year later I had it shipped to me in Milton keynes, I have re-wired it, had the ECU re vamped changed the Cam sensor, had it into Ford on there Diag checked The fuse boxes re checked everything & it wont start, it sparks & fuels first crank then nothing, I have put some serious hours into this can anyone with some serious knowledge point me to the man who can before insanity sets in. (PATS IS SHOWING NO FAULT) 1995 P Reg
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

Re: Cosworth wont start
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 8:21pm »

sounds like you put a lot of time and effort into this, so i wont go through the obvious. howiedintheplace, or savethenight will be the men to sort this out for you, they know the cosworths back to front.

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 9:54pm »

Could you let us know what you've tried to date?

Dont know how much youve looked into so sorry if you've tried these or they appear obvious..but this problem usually turns out something simple

Try these

Throttle position sensor
Fuel cut off switch
Is the petrol ok? maybe old stuff with water in it?
tried a new battery?
Battery the correct rating?
try disconnecting it for a few minutes then reconnect to reset modules
Check all the battery wires have been reconnected, theres a small one for the -ve side that often gets tucked under the battery when its replaced

So Fords verdict was what exactly??

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Rev_Tech

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:34pm »

New front end harness, Fuse boxes, Cam sensor, crank sensor, Fuses relays ECU.
I only let a mate at Ford Re-program the new ECU to get the keys programmed, it is 1996 car so dont want to spend a fortune on it so we did all the hard stuff.
We are linked to the motor trade in electronics but not mechanics but know my way around a car my buddie has been doing most of the work he is a BMW mechanic with 30 years expeirence, everything checks out on tests it should run 1st crank shows correct signals then nothing, I sent the ECU back to Auto Tech yesterday & they have had a real good look at it today but it shows all good, I have used them for years & never had a problem. It should be back on Monday when I will try again, as a shot in the dark I will bypass the security system on Monday but I am certain thats okay.
I feel like scrapping it but although old it is mint & just before it went pair shaped we did the cams & chains which was a pigs orphan of a job. My brother is disabled & he loves the car but I am at a loss the guys helping me are very expeirenced & we are stuck it makes no sense. I have a excellent wiring diagram which we have checked & doulble checked it is all good, fuel cut off is fine, tried the battery trick but I never had any hope of that working, thanks for your interest.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 8:49am »

you say you have HT & fuel at cranking, does it fire or not, are the injectors pulsing to give fuel, do you have fuel pressure all the time, if you have HT try a squirt of diesel cold start to see if it fires, if so fuel is not there, if injectors not pulsing check back at the large multi plugs on the o/s inner wing, do all injectors have an ignition feed to them, the ecu provides earth pulse. loom accros front of engine & in the V have been known to caust these problems, crank & cam sensor wires run there as well, but if you have HT at least the crank sensor is working, check all the earth leads are on the battery also, in fact check this first.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 9:25am »

Have you changed all the fuses and relays in both boxes for new ones?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.