Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Red Key and Other keys. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Red Key and Other keys.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Red Key and Other keys.  (Read 771 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Red Key and Other keys.
« on: Mar 24th, 2006, 8:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've just become the proud owner of a 1996 Scorpio Ultima 12v.

I've had a really good look at the info on the site regarding the Red Key, but the question I have is this;

When I bought the car, the dealer gave me a bunch of Four Keys. Two Red ones, and Two Black ones.
Having tried them all in the ignition, only ONE of the red keys will actually start the car. The other three keys either get as far as showing the pre-start ignition warning lights, but don't start the car, and in the case of one black key,  it doesn't even turn in the ignition, but will open the boot!

So basically i have ONE RED KEY which will operate the car.

My question is this. Can I RE-CODE/ RE-PROGRAMME the two Black Keys that I have (which presumably have some code in them already) from the PATS system, or do I need to get NEW KEYS and then programme them?

Thanks. It's not quite clear as to whether you can re-programme an exsisting key that's had code on it already.

All the keys have the RED transponder chip in them.

Many thanks  Huh
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: Red Key and Other keys.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

have a look at this link, it describes how you program new keys about halfway down the page:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pats.htm

HTH  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 7:43pm »

Dave.  

Thanks for this but I had already read the link you gave.  

The bit I'm confused about is regarding the keys that I have (see my original query). Can I RECODE keys which (presumably) have already been coded, or do I need to buy BRAND NEW (ie uncoded) keys from Ford or elsewhere and then code them.

At the moment I have two black and one other red key which are about as much use as a rubber steering wheel. If i can re-code them, then I'll do that. If not, then I'll get rid of them, as they are no use.

I DO have the MASTER RED KEY. This is the ONLY key that the seller gave me which actually fits, and starts the car, and which I'm currently using. The other three don't start the car.

Thanks again for your reply.
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 7:54pm »

you can hve keys made and programed  from your red key that start your car ,  

as for the boot its prob had a diffrent lock put into hence the reason why you hve the one to open ya boot !!
 do your red key that start ur car open your boot ?
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 8:00pm »

on Mar 25th, 2006, 7:43pm, Spannerdemon wrote:
Dave.  

Thanks for this but I had already read the link you gave.  

The bit I'm confused about is regarding the keys that I have (see my original query). Can I RECODE keys which (presumably) have already been coded, or do I need to buy BRAND NEW (ie uncoded) keys from Ford or elsewhere and then code them.

At the moment I have two black and one other red key which are about as much use as a rubber steering wheel. If i can re-code them, then I'll do that. If not, then I'll get rid of them, as they are no use.

I DO have the MASTER RED KEY. This is the ONLY key that the seller gave me which actually fits, and starts the car, and which I'm currently using. The other three don't start the car.

Thanks again for your reply.

i would think ford would be able to wipe the old code in your keys and put in a new one for you but im not 100% sure your best bet would be to ring them just to find out what they do , at least you do hve ya master key so that will make things a lot easier for you .
IP Logged
tony

1996 2.9 12v

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 8:05pm »

Spannerdemon,

Seeing as the keys are useless anyway, why not try reprogramming them. The sequence to do so is simple. Not sure whether it can be done, but its easy to try!

Tony
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 10:03pm »

If I've understood the key programming thing correctly, you don't actually program the keys, you program the car to accept the keys. So any encoded key can be used on any car, as long as it is correctly cut and the car is programmed to accept it.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 6:32pm »

Thanks for these replies. I'll try and program one of my existing keys and let you know what happens!
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2006, 7:07pm »

good luck with that then  Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.