Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scraping Noise From My Rear End! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Scraping Noise From My Rear End!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scraping Noise From My Rear End!  (Read 342 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Scraping Noise From My Rear End!
« on: Mar 28th, 2006, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Around about this time last year, I did my offside rear wheel bearing (including hub).  
Pig of a job I thought and could have done with a proper press. But anyway, I got there in the end. Only after a fair bit of clouting though    Some of the bashing was off the car, and then some of it was on the car.  

Now, ever since then, I've had another kinda scraping noise going on. Its never got any worse, but its not got much better either  Embarassed
I say its a scraping noise, but it sounds like it has a kind of 'ring' to it. I was convinced it was something rubbing on one of the discs, but I see now that its not.  

Its a job to pinpoint while driving exactly where its coming from, and it can only be heard when driving too, not when manually spinning the wheels.  

Could it be another bearing perhaps? Or did my bashing fcuk the diff somehow or the driveshafts?   Undecided

I know its probably not recommended, but what about if I put the rear end up on stands and got someone to drive the car while I lay on the floor listening?
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

Re: Scraping Noise From My Rear End!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 1:14pm »

Can't offer any advice on the scraping noise other than check the cover behind the disk to make sure it's fixed properly. As for the axle stand suggestion.... only if you're tired of having a car!!! Never a good idea to put the car on stand and then fire it up and put it in gear... waayyy to much chance of it coming off. Shocked
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 1:19pm »

In the same way that we check the "run out" of a brake disc, could you check the same of the wheel?

EDIT: I mean the above suggestion to be used when one side is jacked up, I know of someone who put a car on axle stands and ran it but think the Scorpio is just a bit heavy to risk it - its not worth it  Wink
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 4:53pm »

If you jack up  the relevant wheel and secure  it  ( never mind  axle stands,  big  dods  of  railway sleeper  are safer I find )     and start her  up  would I  be right in thinking  that , due to the diff,   the  raised wheel will   spin  and  the  one on the ground won't ?

Thus being significantly safer,  or am I completely off-beam?  

Although as there is no weight on the noisy wheel the correct conditions can never be fully  re-created.    

I'll get me coat Undecided
IP Logged
tony

1996 2.9 12v

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 5:23pm »

Dangerous.....

Vice versa, the wheel on the ground will have all the traction.

IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:14pm »

The wheel on the ground may have all the traction (i.e. grip), but once the raised wheel has spun up to (twice) normal speed there'll be little torque at the one on the ground.

Having said that, you are quite right, it is dangerous to do it this way - if the brake is binding on the raised wheel then the other will get some of the torque (more so the worse it is binding).  Of course, some Scorpios were fitted with limited-slip diffs!  @

If the OP really wants to do it this way then both driven wheels need to be well clear of the ground and be very careful of the wheels which will be spinning with full engine torque and difficult to stop quickly by hand...

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:41pm »

When you put the new bearings on was the hub scored at all? A scored hub will not seat the bearings properly and they can move on the hub. This can produce a grinding sound.
P.S. to fit bearings without a press put both the hub & new bearings in the freezer over night (in sealed plastic bags otherwise the smell will infect the food). In the morning take them out & while they are still cold you should be able to tap the bearings onto the hub quite easily.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 12:06am »

It wouldn't be low pads would it?
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:39am »

New hub was fitted as well as the bearing, so I think thats fine.
If anything, I would say its coming from the centre of the car or over to the other side.

Changed the rear calipers last week and thought to myself... "I should be doing pads as well really" so I might get the small obvious bits out of the way, just to check.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.