Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 4:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Air compressor relay »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Air compressor relay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air compressor relay  (Read 546 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Air compressor relay
« on: Mar 30th, 2006, 2:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I press my air-con button the compressor doesn't turn. I have checked the fuse and that is fine. I wan't to check the relay but can't find it. According to the manual it is behind the glove box. I've pulled the glove box out but cannot see any relays at all. Does anyone know where it is?
IP Logged
Chris Dean

'98 2.3 Ultima Saloon

View Profile

Re: Air compressor relay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 3:03pm »

Hi JC,

Open the Glove Box. Look at the top inside of the glovebox near the front and you will see a small recess (big enough to put 2 fingers in) Make a hook with your two fore fingers and pull the flap down. You should now be able to see a small collection of relays.

Cheers

Chris
IP Logged

Dazed and Confused.
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 3:44pm »

Thanks buddy!!
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 10:51pm »

I think they moved it at some point - my 1995 Scorpio diesel doesn't have the relay above the glovebox - instead it is a small one in the battery fusebox.  From memory it is R24 (which must be green or blue), and there needs to be a link in position B9 between 0 and 1.  

Basically the feed from F33 goes through the de-icing switch, the dual pressure switch, then to contact 87a on R24.  

The de-icing switch is like a thermostat & relay and will cut power to the compressor once the evaporator core reaches a lower limit, or if the blower/air-con is turned off.  The dual pressure switch is to protect the system - if pressure too low, because of a leak for instance, then the compressor simply won't start (the refrigerant contains an oil to lubricate the compressor).  If the pressure is too high then it will also shut off the compressor and run the cooling fans at full speed to help cool the condensor, thereby lowering the pressure.

R24 is a normally-closed relay (as opposed to the more usual normally-open ones which are coloured brown or white - you can tell because N/O relays have an "a" after the number 87) - it's purpose is to disconnect the clutch when you floor the throttle and is switched by the PCM; normally the contacts will remain closed.

Contact 30 or R24 connects to B9 contact 1, and B9 contact 0 connects to the compressor clutch.  B9 is merely a link between the output of the relay and the compressor clutch.  However position 2 on B9 is a permanent +12V feed so if you reverse the link so it bridges positions 0 and 2 this will permanently engage the compressor clutch (even when the ignition is off!)  You can do this to test the compressor but be warned that the air-con dual pressure and de-icing switches will have no effect so it is easily possible to over-pressurise the system and cause damage if you leave it running!

Darren
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 10:54pm »

on Mar 30th, 2006, 2:19pm, jonnycab wrote:
When I press my air-con button the compressor doesn't turn. I have checked the fuse and that is fine. I wan't to check the relay but can't find it. According to the manual it is behind the glove box. I've pulled the glove box out but cannot see any relays at all. Does anyone know where it is?

Did you know that if your A/C system has no charge the compressor will not work. Hopefully your problem is just a relay but if it seems ok have a good look around all the A/C pipes, hoses condencer etc for damp looking spots ( oil leaks ) it maybe that you have lost your charge. Mike.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 2:42am »

I've only had the car a couple of months & the compressor wasn't working when I bought it. I was hoping that it just needed re-gassing. The relay is clicking when you press the air-con button. In the manual it says there are three relays under the glove compartment but there is only two in mine - an orange one which seems to be the compressor and a large blue one (these are not the colours described in the manual).
I'll have to go and see an air-con bloke when i've got a chance.
P.S. It's a '98 2.3 Ultima, facelift
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:03pm »

on Mar 31st, 2006, 2:42am, jonnycab wrote:
I've only had the car a couple of months & the compressor wasn't working when I bought it. I was hoping that it just needed re-gassing. The relay is clicking when you press the air-con button. In the manual it says there are three relays under the glove compartment but there is only two in mine - an orange one which seems to be the compressor and a large blue one (these are not the colours described in the manual).
I'll have to go and see an air-con bloke when i've got a chance.
P.S. It's a '98 2.3 Ultima, facelift

Ultima facelift, sounds nice mate, good luck with the A/C
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 9:48pm »

My Scorp with A/C only has one yellow relay above the glovebox - not sure what it does.   Time for you to dig out the multimeter or test lamp and see where the power stops...

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.