Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 6:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rear suspension sagging? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Rear suspension sagging?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rear suspension sagging?  (Read 450 times)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Rear suspension sagging?
« on: Apr 9th, 2006, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My car seems to sit with the front end higher than the rear (i.e. more gap between top of wheel and arch) - considering it's got a whopping great diesel ferry engine (okay, maybe not, but VM are well-known for marine engines!) I'd have thought it'd be the other way around Huh

It doesn't seem to be a problem (though it looks odd), but I'm wanting to tow a caravan and I'm concerned what'll happen with the extra weight on the hitch, plus a boot full of luggage...

Is there anything that can be done to level the car and make it better suited for towing?  I could fit those rubber spring assister things but IME on the Rover 800 they made the (already harsh) suspension quite a bit firmer and I'm not sure if they'd actually even it up.  Self-levelling dampers are an option, but not a cheap one and I'd rather not be paying that kind of money until I've sorted out the fuel economy problems I'm having.

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Rear suspension sagging?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 12:11am »

My 1998 Scorpio saloon seems to be sitting level, but my old 1995 Scorpio saloon was definately higher at the back end. I've seen a few Scorpios that look lower at the back. I just assumed that they had alot of weight in the boot or an LPG tank.
P.S. My wifes '96 Mondeo estate sits higher at the front & according to the service history it had new front springs about a year before we bought it. Capri's also used to suffer from higher front ends.....maybe it's a Ford thing.
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 6:50am »

Hmm... mine sits down a touch at the back too.
And I rarely have a full boot.  Undecided

IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 10:00am »

the easy option is to fit uprated towing springs
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 11:39pm »

Looks like it' just worn back springs then, I know the previous owner had new front springs fitted so (unless they're uprated over the original) I can't think what else it would be.

Anybody know the rough cost of rear springs?  I'd fit them myself but would need to buy a spring compressor too.  Failing that, is it possible to remove the dampers whilst the car is on ramps (being as these limit the suspension's travel), then to roll the car off and jack up the rear sufficiently high enough that there is no tension on the springs and they can just be lifted out?  Can't think why this wouldn't work as the weight of the vehicle is enough to hold them in compression and jacking it up with the dampers removed would release them slowly...?

Darren
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 8:18am »

if you jack under the subframe the springs are loose even with dampers on you can remove the bottom bolts from the dampers easily.   springs at ford 50-70 quid each.  but did get a price from a firm in scotland 94 quid for a set of 4.  cant remember the name but check my post about rear springs.
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.