Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 1996 Cosworth Coolant Loss 106,000 miles »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   1996 Cosworth Coolant Loss 106,000 miles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1996 Cosworth Coolant Loss 106,000 miles  (Read 528 times)
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

1996 Cosworth Coolant Loss 106,000 miles
« on: Apr 11th, 2006, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Owned car for 6 years, generally happy - however lost all coolant on Farnham by-pass - towed home. Reading various posts on pressurising problems leading to ballooning radiator, decided as first step to change thermostat and try radweld or similar. No success rad leaks near top on side closest to expansion tank.  Before buying new rad (that is probably required) seek updates on experience of other owners who have encountered this sudden loss of coolant problem.  
The posts to date are not conclusive as to cause; is there any new information out there ?
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: 1996 Cosworth Coolant Loss 106,000 miles
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 7:12pm »

Don't use radweld - it's likely to clog up the heater matrix!

Radiators can just 'go' instantly, usually if they've started to corrode inside (you have changed the coolant every 2 years haven't you?) or possibly weakened due to loose mountings, impact damage (stone, etc.).  Hopefully it is just the radiator leaking which caused the coolant loss.

Darren
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 11:41pm »

I seem to change radiators every 12 months or so!! mine all belly at the bottom. If you have one which has lasted for 6 years, chances are it has failed due to age rather than a major balloon problem. Check the bottom of the rad though for signs of bellying as this weakens the sides of the rads as well and could cause sudden loss. Mine has never gone suddenly though!! But as has been said, under no circumstances use radweld. This really will cuse more problems that it cures on the scorpio

Baz
IP Logged
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 11:23pm »

Appreciate advice from Baz and Sector-9 regarding my problem.  Wish I had not used Radweld - too late now. I have not regularly changed coolant, perhaps twice in six years......... Fortified with this knowledge I will seek out a working radiator.  Pleased that the much discussed loss of coolant occurs slowly and not catastrophically fast.  Thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.