Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:15am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help - Possible Head gasket or Not »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help - Possible Head gasket or Not
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help - Possible Head gasket or Not  (Read 347 times)
Danny

View Profile Email

Help - Possible Head gasket or Not
« on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All, I was just driving around the M25 when one of water pipes gave way and let all my water out.  

I have just recently changed the rad. And someone I know said that it could be the head gasket gone because of the pressure from the engine finding the weakest point on water system. Also, I am not 100% sure but I think i can smell petrol in the water system.

Is there any obvious signs I can look for to tell if the head gasket has gone?  

Thanks
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
Danny

View Profile Email

Re: Help - Possible Head gasket or Not
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:00pm »

Also, I forgot to mention that is a 2.9 24v Cosworth.

Thanks
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Now - Mondeo ST TDCI (Sat Nav Built-in/Bluetooth/Voice Control/Xenons/DeCat/Bluefin Remap @ 190bhp)
trogg

the scorpio king

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:36pm »

good possibility the head gasket has gone and maybe warped the head.
IP Logged

trogg
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:54pm »

when i first got my cossie, first traffic jam it hit i got steam from the engine bay. pulled it over straight away assuming the worst, water was pouring out the bottom of the car. AA man filled it up, no water leak and drove i drove it home.

Ford mechanic diagnosed probable head gasket (water coming from under passenger side inlet manifold) but no water in the oil.....

after help from guys on this forum and some research i found out there are several pipes which are "hidden" around the engine. turned out it was the thermostat pipe that is really hidden, much cheaper repair.

dont despair, may not be a terminal issue, see my posts from a month or two ago.

keeping my fingers crossed for you
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 9:03pm »

Similar problem to tintin above when I bought my 24v, 2 water pipes from the thermostat housing can and do go and did on mine! Think that may have been why the previous owner got rid.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 10:08pm »

Thanks guys, I will check the hose pipes. My big concern in the smell of petrol in the water, although its not a strong smell it might be hot water and rubber from the pipes mixed together.

IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 11:16pm »

If I was you I would replace the damaged hose, refill with coolant ( could just use water I suppose for now to save wasting anti freeze ? ) Bleed the system and then get a garage to do a sniff test on the coolant.  

I had this done on a Supra I had, basicly the mechanic put some sort of bottle thing on the top of the rad that contained a blue die, then he run the engine for a while and sweezed a rubber plunger attatched to the bottle, if the blue die stayed blue the head gasket was ok if it turned green it ment that there were exhaust fumes in the coolant and therefore a blown head gasket or worse. Mine went green  Sad  ,not unusual for a Supra.

I had mine checked at my local MOT garage and he didn't charge me but if he had it would only have been a few £s.  

Mike
IP Logged
Danny

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:24pm »

Just an update... Upon inspection, the main Thermostat hose was rotten and fell apart when I tried to remove it. So I replaced it (f**ck**g ass to replace) and all seems to be ok at the moment.

But thanks to all who helped.

Thanks
IP Logged

ex 1996 24v Cosworth
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.