Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Buying advice, rear LSD and actual milage »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Buying advice, rear LSD and actual milage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Buying advice, rear LSD and actual milage  (Read 484 times)
Magnusf

1996 Scorpio 24v Ghia Estate

View Profile

Buying advice, rear LSD and actual milage
« on: Apr 15th, 2006, 8:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello there!

New forum member from Sweden! Smiley

I'm no Scorpio owner yet, but I'm going to have a look at a 1996 24v Ghia Estate tomorrow and I have some questions.

First I wonder, does all 24v Scorpios have rear viscous Limited Slip Differential, like the mk3 Granada has on 24v's and some Ghias? Or is it replaced with the electronic "anti-slip" system?

Secondly, the car I'm looking at has surprisingly low milage compared to many Scorpios other I've seen for sale. It was originally sold in Germany and was imported to Sweden in 2002 and has only had one swedish owner. Local Ford dealer told me there is unfortunately no really sure way of verifying the milage, as can be done on newer cars. What is you experts view on this?

Finally, I've printed out the pdf-document concerning buying Scorpio, and asked the friendly ford dealer for even more advice (they pointed out the importance of checking everything electrical, as they thought electronics failture was the primary weakness of those cars). Anyhthing else before I go?

Regards

/ Magnus
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Buying advice, rear LSD and actual milage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 11:44am »

A tale-tale sign of a 'clocked' car is the condition of the drivers seat, steering wheel & pedals. If they look particularly worn then this is a sure sign of a high-miler.
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 12:46pm »

from personal experience, give it a good run and let it sit running in gear. if i have i would have spotted that it a) sprung a leak in prolonged traffic
b) gearbox was not up to scratch.

not sure electics are that big an issue, but mine all worked when i bought it (fingers crossed)

lots of info on checking the gearbox (quickly into gear, smooth changes etc) i would say dont buy if not happy with g/box. the above has cost me £600 since i bought it 3 months ago !!

lastly, make sure you get ALL the keys, i got 1 black key, 1 fob, and now worried if they stop working, as i dont have the red key. i havent even looked for the wheels locknut key......and it needs a new tyre

from my understanding it is almost impossible to "clock" the car, there are posts about this in the last month or so.

on the plus side, i couldnt buy the smile the cossie puts on my face
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:02pm »

Magnus,

I hope you find you have a good example, I share the comments of the others, these cars can be a little surprising and in good condition are hard to confirm mileage. In addition to the Wheel, and pedals, have a close look at the front bumper and bonnet for evidence of stone chipping, sometimes a useful clue.

With regard to your limited slip diff question, to a great degree the traction control system were fitted does the trick. On the electrical front, I guess as long as you check all systems operate as you would expect and that you have a battery cover and fuse box covers all seem to seat properly you will have done the best that you can. Tin tin makes a good point about keys, but at some point in 96 or 97 the red key was no longer needed. The Ford dealer should be able to give you a fair amount of information about the vehicle that you are looking at if you have a VIN number, in fact there are members on the site who can give similar information if you message them privately.

Hope this helps.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 8:59pm »

Some Scorpios had LSD fitted, but I think these were only to order so very few will.  As another poster says, traction control has largely done away with the need for LSD.  Having said that, I don't think Ford changed the diffs between the earlier Granada and the Scorpio so if you can find a donor with an LSD of the same ratio...

Darren
IP Logged
Magnusf

1996 Scorpio 24v Ghia Estate

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 4:01pm »

Thanks for all advice!

It's a deal! I used the pdf buying guide and found the car to be in resonable condition for it's age. It drove well, autobox was ultra smooth, interior vgc. Every single button worked! Unfortunately the paintjob on the tailgate wasn't perfect (respray) and also the rear arches had been resprayed at some point (but much nicer finished). Overall, the paint was dull and will need a very good polish job. That, and the fact that the exhaust was a bit rusty resulted in me giving him a pretty low offer, much less than he asked for in the ad. After some thinking for both of us we today agreed to meet halfway, pretty much exactly the kind of money I was expecting to pay.

So, ok it's certainly no "minter" ,but then again I believe it's a fair car for the money. I will take it to my local ford dealer for a regular service and some extra checkup. Might  be able to pick it up next weekend as it's two hours drive away from here and I won't have time workdays.

/ Magnus
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 5:17pm »

Seeing the   prospective  car  start up from cold  is always a good idea  ( lots of blue smoke  is a real  no-no )    as  well  as  judging the    autobox's     condition by   timing how  long it   takes  to  engage  gear    after  putting the  selector   in  D  ( 1- 4  seconds:   OK,   longer than 4 seconds: could mean trouble ).

The  colour   of   the  AT  fluid    should   be    reddy-brown  and not  black.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.