Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Air-con busted »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Air-con busted
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air-con busted  (Read 639 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Air-con busted
« on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Finally got around to sorting out my air-con. The bloke came round & diagnosed a busted pump.
He also said that I should change the dryer as well as a matter of course. He told me not to buy a second hand one as that would probably be no good, but he has a brand new one for £60.
Is he right about this?
IP Logged
Atlantic_blue

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Air-con busted
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 2:08pm »

Sixty pounds for a receiver /drier is a good price, Yes he is right about a second hand one.

Think of the above as an oil filter. You would not buy a second hand one of them.
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 2:12pm »

sounds very cheap to me you cant even buy a recon at that price
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

had my recever/drier replaced about 9 months ago now,price then brand new was £71 and something from fordparts.co.uk..
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:35pm »

" change  the  drier   as well  as   a   matter of course  "  Undecided

Nothing    " of course"     about   it.  

It's not a Service item like an oil or air filter, does he  know  for certain that  it's   duff ?
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 7:54pm »

Thanks for the advice. The air-con guy seems a nice chap & he came recommended by a couple of fellow cabbies, so I kind of trust what he says. He didn't try to flog me a pump, as I told him I'd get a second hand one & he was fine with that.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 8:43pm »

I've read that it's recommended the receiver/dryer is replaced every so often, but I don't know of anybody that ever has - I certainly haven't bothered.

As for the compressor being defective, does the magnetic clutch engage when you turn on the air-con?  If it doesn't then it could be an electrical fault (check for 12V between the two pins on the compressor wiring plug).  If there is power there then he could be right and it will need replacing (though there must be some way of replacing just the clutch/pulley assembly).  If there isn't then I'd start testing the electrics before condemning the compressor.  Bear in mind that insufficient pressure in the air-con system will prevent the clutch from engaging...

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 8:54pm »

The system had plenty of gas in it. The magnetic clutch did not turn when switching on the air-con & trying to turn it by hand was an impossibility. Also there was a definate gap between the clutch & the pump body (about 3mm). The relay 'clicks' when button pressed & all relavent fuses are fine.
The engine still runs fine & the aux drive belt shows no signs of damage at all.
I don't really know alot about air-con or the air-con pump, but when I get the pump off, is there a way freeing up the locked up clutch?
P.S. spoke to a local breakers today & he said he's got a second hand air-con pump & all he want's is £40, but he won't be open again 'till Tuesday.
I hate bank holidays!!!
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 11:02pm »

With the clutch engaged it will be impossible to turn by hand (notice how much it drags even the powerful engines down when it cuts in?).  Unplug the lead going to the compressor and check with a multimeter (or 12V test lamp) - if there's no voltage there then the compressor won't engage and a replacement will have exactly the same problem.

If you just want to test that the clutch works or not then remove the lid from the battery fusebox and find link B9, pull out the link and fit it into the other contact (the one nearest the front of the engine).  This should now put power direct to the clutch, bypassing all the air-con controls and sensors (be warned, it does this even with the ignition off).  If the central part of the pulley then starts rotating when the engine is running you know it is a problem with the electrics.  If it doesn't then firstly put B9 back into it's original position, and then do a continuity check between the two pins of the compressor wiring socket.  I think that regardless what the problem is with the clutch, unless you can figure out how to remove it and can get an identical replacement then you will need a replacement compressor.  However, make sure that if it's already been taken off the vehicle that the ports on the back have been plugged, otherwise moisture in the air will have gotten in and could have started to corrode the insides...
IP Logged
tony

1996 2.9 12v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 11:52pm »

The receiver/drier should be changed when the opportunity arises. It removes traces of moisture which inhibit the action of the refrigerant. It also helps to prevent corrosion. Most reputable aircon guys will change this when changing the compressor.  

I had mine done recently with a s/h replacement compressor from howiedintheplace. Bought a new receiver/dryer for £33.00+delivery+vat from Autofast. (Cost me £48.18 all in with next day courier delivery. FPUK wanted £79.00.

Tony
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16th, 2006, 12:28am »

Thanks sector9, I will try that tomorrow. It sounds like the last test I could possibly do.
But the air-con guy still reckons because of the gap between the clutch & the body, & the fact that it wouldn't turn, then the compressor is seized.
Even though the clutch would't turn by hand, I might try a spanner on the bolts & see if I can turn it.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16th, 2006, 10:19pm »

Well okay, it could be the compressor.  However, like I said, make sure that the replacement has had it's ports sealed if it has already been removed.  It'll probably be okay for a short time without but you've no idea how long it's been disconnected for so you could be buying scrap if it's been off for a while without being plugged.

If you do buy another compressor, is there any chance you could dismantle the old one and take photos?  I'd be interested to see what's inside one.  FWIW I think that the seals inside can be replaced (you have to if changing from R12 to R134a) so it must come apart.  I suppose you could also try running some air-line oil (as used for lubricating air tools) through the ports and see if that gets it moving...

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 12:27am »

Sector9...now you're starting to worry me...ports sealedHuh? would a breakers do this??.
Advise me properly & I will gladly send you the old compressor & you can take it apart for yourself!!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 1:13am »

Does anyone know the Ford part number for a 2.3 air compressor pump?. When I get the second hand one, I need to check it, to make sure I've got the right one.
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 7:52am »

I had a similar problem with mine - couldn't turn the compressor so thought it had seized, got the local air con guy in (Aircon Direct) and he found the system was over pressurised due to a faulty expansion valve!

HTH

Dave
IP Logged
meg

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 9:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

compressor part no 9GGW 19D623AA   finis no 3649380.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 9:33am »

Thanks Meg
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 9:52pm »

Just like I said, moisture naturally present in the air could cause internal corrosion unless the compressor has had the ports blocked off; the refrigerant also carries a light oil which keeps it lubricated and the receiver/dryer retains any moisture present in the system.

Don't be worried though, although it is a risk I don't think it's a big one unless it's been kicking around unplugged for ages, or kept somewhere humid - in any case if it cures your problem for a few years then you'll be happy.

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.