Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Is this the right Antifreeze? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Is this the right Antifreeze?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is this the right Antifreeze?  (Read 336 times)
Mottsy

View Profile

Is this the right Antifreeze?
« on: Apr 18th, 2006, 4:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just been out and brought everything for a service on my 12v 2.9. Having read the thread, Topic: renew antifreeze and flush system  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1143399288;start=8#8

I am a bit concerned as to whether I have got the right antifreeze.

I brought Ford Super Premium Plus. This contains Ethanediol and apparently lasts ten years. I have check through all the service receipts I have and can find no mention of the antifreeze ever having been done at any previous service. As my car is coming up ten years old does anyone know if this is likely to cause any problems? Should I fill her up with plain demineralised water and run her for a while to try and flush the old stuff out of the system, (not a problem my dehumidifier makes the stuff as a by-product.) or should I take it back and get the normal 2 year stuff? I don't really want to open the container to see what colour it is as then if wont be able to change it if I need to.

I await the advice of those with more knowledge about these matters than I. (That should be the majority of you!)

Many thanks

Mottsy
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: Is this the right Antifreeze?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:01pm »

Personally I'd take it back and get a (cheaper) bottle of the standard stuff - the 2.9 cologne engine is an old design so I don't imagine it would have had the fancy stuff in it from new.

Distilled water is best for the engine, but most anti-freeze contains corrosion inhibitors anyway so tap water is still okay.  However the inhibitors lose their effectiveness after a few years hence needing to change the coolant.

FWIW I change the coolant on all my cars, and only use the glycol based anti-freeze and tap water.  I had a Rover 414 with the K-series engine (well known for overheating and subsequent head gasket failure) which I used to tow a caravan for two years - never had any problems with the cooling system.  Mind you, I also flush the system every change...

Darren
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

Re: Is this the right Antifreeze?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:19pm »

Hi Mottsy,
its up to you what antifreeze you use. The Ford product is supposed to be best and should be ok after 10 years. What does the fluid look like? Can you check its SG (should be around 1.067-1.075)?

You can use another type, as I do, such as Comma 'Xstreem' Green and change every 3 years. As it says, its green and not red as the "blue/green" types are recommended.  

You shouldn't mix blue/green and red types nor alternate unless you flush the system between types (they interact).  

Don't think you need to flush system unless its mucky.

Diluting antifreeze with demineralised/distilled water would be better for the system as you wont get furring of pipes etc - though I'm not sure how significant this is in a car system - its not like a central heating system.

Wouldn't run with just water - it'll boil over, rust, etc  Cry

HTH

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.