Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 8:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Another solution for key fob repair »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Another solution for key fob repair
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another solution for key fob repair  (Read 448 times)
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

Another solution for key fob repair
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

Just received my fob from my win on Ebay...seller said will need new batteries (always read between the lines...as I did'nt..Hi)...anyway as you may well guess after fitting new batteries..............

The fob worked great on the tailgate...but very occasionally locked or unlocked after finger exercises on the buttons...

Took it apart and cleaned the pc contacts...bit better..

Fed up I dug out an old TV universal remote, using a stanley knife blade sliced of a wafer thin contact pad..

I got the contact adhesive out only to find it would not sick to the fob contacts........sliced off these in the same manner and then stuck the new pads onto the fob..

WORKS GREAT! Smiley

Anyone having a go...I did not use super glue as it tends to make rubber go brittle..as it is now I should be able to replace as I need in the future..

The contact adhesive seems OK, time will tell, but I think perhaps the really good double sided tape sticky tape may be better..one for someone to test.

The pads I used where quite small compared to the original but big enough to bridge the print matrix pad.
I would think larger pads would help with the adeshive side, giving a larger surface area to stick too.

These remotes are going for a pound in the local low priced stores...should keep me going years with all those buttons...

Just one down side the TV at home keeps changing channel when I lock the car, but I can live with that! Wink

Cheers

John

PS paid £41.00 for fob + £3.00 batteries + £1.00 remote
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Another solution for key fob repair
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 5:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Shocked..
£41.00 for 1 that needed battery's..... Shocked

heres another solution (and dont ask me why it works but it really does),clean the battery's and all contacts with an eraser.....
i know it sounds a bit crazy,but as i say,it really does work..
another member did what you did with an old remote as well,and the results were the same as your's,so there's 2 ways i guess...
IP Logged
wudz

Accrington who?

View Profile Email

Re: Another solution for key fob repair
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 5:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Craig,

yep....£41.00 call that desperate or what Roll Eyes....thought it may be an easier option as the drivers door locks are ready for replacement..still work but just lock (scuz pun) or jam occasionally..have new keys so it is the lock.. passenger side OK now ..but knowing Ford locks..you never know.. Cry

Missed quite a few fobs  so I thought I better get one if not for just a backup.

Ok about the rubber, I suppose it cleans the tarnish off as the current drawn is so small that any bit of resistance causes probs.

Thought I had done a first... anyway all is well at the present and fingers crossed it keeps going..

Cheers

John
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.