Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 1:25am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Still no battery cover :( »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Still no battery cover :(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Still no battery cover :(  (Read 669 times)
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

Still no battery cover :(
« on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ordered a battery cover nearly 2 weeks ago from the dealer (apparently they have to get them in from Germany) and yesterday it finally arrived !! Went to pick it up and it had a huge crack in it Sad which makes it bleeding useless. Ah well looks like I'm waiting again, hopefully it wont get too wet in there  Cry

Pete
IP Logged

Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: Still no battery cover :(
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:40pm »

Maybe you could put a bag over the battery, or an ice cream tub lid over it just to keep the worst off.

Are there any scrap yards near you?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 2:10pm »

When i bought my scorp it didn't have a battery cover nor the battery holdings. Went to ford to order.....it had an unreal price for a piece of plastic, i was supposed to wait for it...a few weeks  Tongue. Got myself a big plastic piece and built from it a huge battery / fusebox / AC cover  Grin
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 4:31pm »

I have a couple if anyone needs one
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 9:36pm »

Mine has had a crack in it ever since I bought the car.  Not bothered about it though, I know the fusebox is water resistant enough to handle the few drips it might get...

Darren
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 9:40pm »

Darren,  

you will be surpised as to how many members have had electrical problems, with water getting into the fusebox, no doubt you know your stuff mate, but i'd reccomend you get one, or seal that crack.

Russ  
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:32pm »

Whilst I don't doubt the reality or frequency of it's occurance (mine has had evidence of water ingress), I don't see how water is likely to enter the fusebox.  The lid has a foam seal all around it, as does the base (the fusebox itself is in three pieces - top, middle and bottom), which pushes into a rubber grommet in the bulkhead.

The only way I can see water entering the fusebox is if the lid hasn't been snapped on properly (usually at the back), or the seal is missing.  The alternative is that the drain holes on the bulkhead are blocked and the fusebox is sitting in a puddle.  However it would have to be a couple of inches or so deep to threaten even the lower seal and by then it'll either be leaking through the grommet into the passenger compartment, or spilling over the bulkhead lip.  If you think about it, the main fusebox is constructed in exactly the same way and needs no additional protection; neither did previous models of Fords so I don't imagine it is the design of the fusebox.

Can anybody tell me why the aux. fusebox is particularly prone to this problem?  I'd have thought the primary purpose of the battery cover is to safeguard the battery terminals from the weather and short circuits...

Darren
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:53pm »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 10:32pm, sector-9 wrote:
(mine has had evidence of water ingress),  

Can anybody tell me why the aux. fusebox is particularly prone to this problem?  I'd have thought the primary purpose of the battery cover is to safeguard the battery terminals from the weather and short circuits...

Darren

Darren, to be honest, i dont know mate, ive driven my scorpio many miles, from the time when it was 2 1/2 years old, never had this prob, but then other members have, and ive always had a battery  cover connected, ive read through a few posts of members rebuilding fuse boxes, and fron the list you supplied yourself, i guess its caused by one or more of the possible causes you highlighted, plus there are more electrical toys on the utimas, therefore, more to go wrong with water in the fusebox.

at the end of the day, if i remember right, the cover is around £10 from FMD, much less from scrappy, if you have already sufferer "water ingress", it got there before, and may well do again.

£10ish max outlay, and keep it dry, or rewire a fusebox?, i dont doubt you you can do it, but i know which way i'd go!

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 11:48pm »

Agree Indeed.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishment?  Wink  Mind you, I seem to have the right car for it!  When I'm feeling brave I'll take a hosepipe to the fusebox/battery and see if I can find why it leaks.  Wouldn't advise anybody else to do so, but I have a nearly-new fusebox ready to go on (and I've got the experience of dismantling/replacing them) in case I'm wrong! Cool

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.