Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 10:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« engine /gearbox failure 2.3 ghia auto »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   engine /gearbox failure 2.3 ghia auto
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: engine /gearbox failure 2.3 ghia auto  (Read 478 times)
scorpio197

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily or Found On Rubish Dump

sdavid376
View Profile

engine /gearbox failure 2.3 ghia auto
« on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 7:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hello scorpio lovers,I have a problem with my scorpio  Sad  my scorpio was recovered by the AA yesterday . I was driving along at no great speed and all of a sudden the engine started to misfire and the whole car shook almost to the point of being uncontrollable .I pulled into a layby smoke coming from under the hood and a smell like gas inside the car. I lifted the hood (engine still running )and the engine was moving from side to side as if it was trying to make a break for freedom smoke and fumes coming from the back of the block .So I turned it off and called the AA ,They did not even look at it ,just put it on a lowloader and took me and the car home .The scorpio has not dumped any oil either engine or gearbox both levels are still at max if you start the car it runs very very lumpy ,if you put it in gear it sounds like about twenty beer tins inside a washing machine .I must asume its the box giving up ,.The wife wants me to get another car (not a scorpio)  Angry  So please if there is some one out there in my area who can fix her up please let me know ,come on guys life wont be the same with out a scorpio in the family ,thanks for your help in advance .
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Re: engine /gearbox failure 2.3 ghia auto
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:25am »

Sounds  terminal,   what's   the  mileage of the  car ?

Your  AA  comment echoes my experience,  they've no interest in even  attempting  a roadside examination   just  lug it on the low loader.  I'm disappointed  in   their    lax  attitude.  

( Maybe  the  Scorp  frightens 'em  ) Roll Eyes
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:45pm »

If the engine is still shuddering and juddering even with the gearbox in park or neutral then I'd not expect it to be the 'box.  Take the spark plugs out and see if any are fouled with oil.  You might also want to get and OBD scan done to see if the ECU is reporting any problems.

Darren
IP Logged
solarpanel

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 3:10pm »

hello sounds like yours is running like mine did when i bought it,take off the air control valve on the manifold and look at the plastic underneath it you might find that it has melted away and this causes it to run well lumpy.the cat on mine fell to bits causing the exhaust gasses to go through the egr valve, down pipe and into the manifold,guy i bought car from had broke down just like you and aa man found hole in manifold, he had garage fit new manifold and 100 miles later it went again so check cat before you run car with new manifold[one on ebay new today] hope this helps.gysc
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:30pm »

hello folks ,i have had a guy look at the scorp ,he says its a coil break down ,and the burning oil seems to be from a slight leak from the rocker cover burning of on the block due to the violent vibration of the engine .After taking of the cover there is no spark at all from number one plug .So in the morning I will get a new coil pack and try it (if my local ford dealer has one in stock  Grin ) .I think its a long shot that it could be this simple to repair ,but at whatever cost I will keep her on the road as long as I can .. thanks for the info guys I will keep you informed with my progress .
IP Logged
scorpio197

sdavid376
View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:06pm »

hi folks ,well I just cant believe it ,replaced the coil  packs and every thing is ok .I was convinced the box had given up ,and that the engine was shot given the syptoms .The only bad thing to come out of this was that the AA scraped my rear bumper when putting it on the low loader . Angry ,so even more expense to put that right  Undecided ...thanks for your help folks ..
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:34pm »

20 years ago running on three cylinders used to be such a simple problem to cure....nowadays Huh
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.