Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« massive current draw - air con relay »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   massive current draw - air con relay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: massive current draw - air con relay  (Read 315 times)
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

massive current draw - air con relay
« on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have '96 cosworth estate auto and unless I remove the brown air con relay the generator light comes on.  I have just fitted the generator (to cure the the perceived problem).  I think there must be short circuit in the loom, anyone experience similar problem?  Grateful for any ideas.  By the way, with relay installed, air con is fine.
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: massive current draw - air con relay
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:41pm »

Erm, the air-con relay should be blue or green (assuming you are talking about R24 in the battery fusebox).  I'm not being picky but there is a difference; basically the relay needs to have a terminal marked 87a (not just 87 as the brown ones have).  The purpose of this relay is to cut power to the compressor at full throttle.  Also check that there is a short link in positions 1 & 0 of B9.

No idea about the alternator warning lamp, but as you've guessed, the wiring for the compressor and alternator both run together in the same loom, so you will need to check the loom between the alternator and fusebox (it runs through the bulkhead then branches off and out again into the fusebox).  It could be water ingress in the fusebox as apparently this causes all manner of strange electrical faults - but I don't think the wire for the warning lamp goes into this fusebox...

Darren
IP Logged
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 5:31pm »

Darren

Thanks for your input; I am away from the car at the moment but on Tuesday I will be able to investigate further and obtain the the true facts.  

IP Logged
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 8:54pm »

Darren
You are quite right. The brown relay that I have removed is apparently for the Engine Management System ! The other brown one (for the self-levelling suspension) is not present either.  The car appears to run OK with the brown relay out ; but perhaps it is'nt.
What is the relay for on the EMS, I wonder?
Unfortunately I have to go off to Spain for the weekend, urgent course-work (golf that is) and will not be back till Monday.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.