Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Aftermarket Reversing Sensors »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Aftermarket Reversing Sensors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Aftermarket Reversing Sensors  (Read 556 times)
Vince

2.3 Scorpio Ultima and Volvo FH12 Globetrotter.

View Profile WWW

Aftermarket Reversing Sensors
« on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 4:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone fitted reversing sensors? I have been looking on fleabay and they seem very cheap and easy to wire up but is this so?

Where do you take the feed from the reversing light circuit? Inside the bootlid or under the parcel shelf?

Is it straightforward to cut through the bumper?

Is a visible display useful? I am thinking that an audio-only alert would be less intrusive.

Any suggestions as to where to place the box of gubbins?

Any other comments welcome- thanks.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Aftermarket Reversing Sensors
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 5:18pm »

There is a link on the site which 'Scorpioman' did some while ago. To answer your questions, Yes I have on my estate. They are simple to fit and very accurate. The simplest way is to connect in to the reversing light feed wherever is easiest. The bumper is hollow and therefore simple to cut and most sets come with a hole cutter.I have a small visible and audio display which sits on top of the mirror and is great. The control box fits inside the cover of the rear lights on my estate but it is so small as to be no problem. I would suggest that a four sensor set is best as it enables you to cover a wider area and to angle the outer sensors slightly to protect the corners. Try this link http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/reverseradar.htm
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Vince

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:11pm »

OK, I presume that the wiring for the reversing lights is trunked through the bootlid support brackets, but which side?

What colour is the wire for the reversing lights?  

I think it's a good idea to have this- I have noticed that an inordinate number of Scorpios have damaged bumpers and I figure a new bumper will cost many times more than a sensor kit. Parking is on-street where I live, and can often be tight.
IP Logged
Mottsy

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:26pm »

Being to chicken to drill holes in my bumper, I fitted this model.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVERSE-REVERSING-PARKING-SENSOR-EASY-FIT_W0QQitem Z8057947493QQcategoryZ75330QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As I have an estate, it was easy to fit into the tailgate, and simply connected to the reversing lights. The wire for the sensors I managed to route through the number plate surround with no drilling required and the two sensors were stuck on either side of the number plate.  

Although there is a display you can use, I found it easier to stick the whole lot in the tailgate and just use the audible warning. (When I get a continuous tone I'm 4" away from whatever).

You can't see the sensors unless you look vey carefully, they are stuck on the black numberplate surround.
It's been on for two years with no problems at all and the best bit is that I got it from Woolworths for a tenner!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:59pm »

Vince, surely the easiest way is to find the wire feeding the reversing light where it actually enters the bulb holder and tap into that. The wiring diagram is here http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/sierra_el.html. It is for the Scorpio despite saying Sierra,and it appears to be a violet/blue wire if my reading of the colour codes is correct but I'm sure someone will confirm.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Vince

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:25pm »

I am sure you are right Simmo. I will probably do that although I am sure "best practice" would specify tapping into the circuit inside the body of the car itself rather than in the boot to avoid unneccessary flexing of the wire.

Having said that, I'm sure that even the shoddiest of bodge jobs will outlive me!
IP Logged
Vince

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:30pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:26pm, Mottsy wrote:

Although there is a display you can use, I found it easier to stick the whole lot in the tailgate and just use the audible warning.  

That is what I am thinking. I think a visual display might be a nice toy, but an audio guide would be enough.

IP Logged
andyjones

1998 2.3 ultima estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:23pm »

ive got them fitted to my estate. don't bother with the one's  with a dash display because its more hassle to route the wiring to the front of the car. mine is fitted with 2 sensors in the bumper which works fine. even with only 2 sensors they will still pick up objects to the side of the car,eg walls
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:29pm »

Visual display on the standard reversing radar fits on back parcel shelf so you have green yellow and red warnings up to the crucnh pointhad mine retrofitted by the new owner of a WDS2000 (Thanks Barry, all that electrical skill comes in handy)

Worth trying to get that from a breakers if possible.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
johndyork

There's a hole in my pocket!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:59pm »

Can recommend the Brees sensors mentioned on this website (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/reverseradar.htm).  Bought mine from http://www.bakerleisure.co.uk/page2.html - 4 sensor set for £38 - comes with the drill bit so you can't bodge your bumper!  Colour coded etc.
I tapped into the wire to the reversing light on the right hand side of the boot  behind the carpet - can check colour if you want.  Put the unit under the parcel shelf so I only hear the beep - good enough for me but there is loads of wire and pretty display if you want to see the unit also. (see pic on Baker website)  
Cheers  john d york
IP Logged

N Reg 2.9 12v Silver Saloon
WAYNE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 5th, 2006, 9:20pm »

HI
Has anyone fitted a ford reversing sensor kit as I am thinking of buying one and want to know if the ford kit is better than the aftermarket kits ie sensitivity/range and audio and visual display
Thanks in advance
Wayne
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.