Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« CD 'Jumping' or says No CD Present »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   CD 'Jumping' or says No CD Present
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CD 'Jumping' or says No CD Present  (Read 356 times)
johndyork

There's a hole in my pocket!

View Profile Email

CD 'Jumping' or says No CD Present
« on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Had my Scorp 3 yrs (2.9 12v) - 7000RDS audio been really good but in past few days CD started to 'jump' or says no CD present after playing about half of first track on CD.  Also noticed going back to radio when going over roadhump (always gently) or any unavoidable grid etc - but this could be coincidence as never playing more than half of any track anyway. Undecided

Is there any DIY fix (Radio end/CD changer end) or does it mean looking round for a replacement changer - any idea how much/best place to get one?  Thanks.
Regards  john d york.
IP Logged

N Reg 2.9 12v Silver Saloon
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

Re: CD 'Jumping' or says No CD Present
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 11:01pm »

firstly check its earthed ok, second hand units go for around the £50 mark.  (i believe bobtheyop still has  one)

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 11:02pm »

Mine used to have the same problems but I bit the bullet and stripped the unit down. When I got the casing off, I worked my way round all the screws to make sure the were all tight and the used a cotton bud with meths to clean the laser lens. Finaly blew the whole thing through with an air duster. It is a very fiddly job and care must be taken as there are loads of fragile parts that can get damaged. But, mine has worked great ever since and only the really bad potholes or bumps make it skip for a half second. Worth a try before you throw it in the bin and get another.
IP Logged

johndyork

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 11:38pm »

Thanks guys - will have a go!  Sounds like a challenge!
Regards  john d york.
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 8:42pm »

Baw's advice is sound.  Being a mechanical device you'll need to make sure that things which move can do so freely (namely the laser pickup assembly should move across the radius of the CD without sticking or stiffness).  Although they look relatively dust proof mechanisms it does find it's way in and sticks to the greased rods the pickup slides on (which makes it harder to move so more chance of overshooting when it does).  Best to give them a wipe down with a paper tissue and possibly smear a little thin grease on with a cotton bud (I use vaseline).  Cleaning the lens will also help though if you're really unlucky the dust may have found it's way past the lens and onto the mirror behind; though low-pressure compressed air should get rid of it.

Darren
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 9:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why not try one of the CD Lens Cleaners that you can get almost anywhere. Simply load it into your CD Changer, and then 'play' it as instructed.

You might well find that this will solve the problem without dismantling the unit. For about a fiver for a decent one, I'd certainly give this a try first. Most decent audio outlets sell them.

I wouldn't recommend the very cheap ones. Like everything else, you get what you pay for, and some of the cheapies are a complete waste of time. Go for 'Scotch' or something similar.

Good luck.  Smiley
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:36am »

That would have been one of the first things I would have suggested, but most owners I have spoken to that have had probs with their changer have said most of these CD cleaners dont work or have had little effect. That is why I thought, 'sod it' and just poped the thing open and plodded on. So far mine has been great for the last 4 months or so.... I Think a lot of the time it is a bit more than just a clean.
IP Logged

Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 12:53pm »

As we already know the estate has firmer suspension than the saloon, I have found that the cd changer is much more prone to jumping. The previous owner has, to some degree, addressed this problem using foam around the unit.

Have any estate owners achieved a successful solution to this minor irritation?

IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
johndyork

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:24pm »

Sincere thanks to all members who replied to original problem of jumping CD/No CD present - turned out to be loose mounting/earth - nice little pile of mounting bolts that had worked loose over the years!  With secure mounting/earth & use of CD cleaner works a treat - brill!  Wink
Regards john d york.
IP Logged

Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2006, 8:35am »

Good to hear Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.