Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Overly Good Handbrake »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Overly Good Handbrake
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Overly Good Handbrake  (Read 367 times)
mazzy_j

View Profile

Overly Good Handbrake
« on: Apr 28th, 2006, 9:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,  
    Yesterday i had the brakes bled on my car (one job i prefer not to do) and thought while i was at it i'd have ask the mechanic sort out the non-existant handbrake. I was lucky to get away without have to replace the rear callipers last MOT due to the handbrake boardering on seized. The mechanic has now managed to free up both callipers so that they pull on, the problem now is that on the drivers side it works too well!

It seems as though the inside of the 'spring thing' where the handbrake cable attaches too is still slightly seized and so it pulls up fine when the handbrake is applied, but doesn't release without some persuading with a screwdriver  Sad I've been told that a new set of callipers is on the cards which i'm reluctant to do seeing as its just one side which is a little bit sticky on the return.

I remember reading Paul B's write up a while ago and was wondering whether it would be possible to just remove the spring and clean up the inside? I havn't done this before and was wondering do you just remove the nut on top and it pull something out from inside or is there more to it than that?

Thanks, Matt
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Overly Good Handbrake
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:15am »

Are you sure that it isn't the actual cable sticking inside the sleeve, due to some water getting in & rusting. I recently had this problem on a Mondeo, the handbrake would work fine but would not release.
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:55am »

Pretty sure. When he had the caliper off and the cable disconnected he could move the small lever but it wouldn't spring back.

Matt
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:46pm »

It is possible to remove the lever and clean it up with fine emery cloth and then regrease. I am sure someone on here did it quite recently... may well have been Paul b but here is an exploded diagram of the rear brakes http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/rearcalipers.gif
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:59pm »

Thanks Snoopy, it looks like there's a small cylinder with a half moon cut out (part 22) under the small lever. I'll have a tinker this weekend and see if i can get it all apart.

Matt
IP Logged
trogg

the scorpio king

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 8:43pm »

be intrested to know how you get on as i have a simalar problem. mine ajust up fine when manipulated with a screwdriver but after a few uses it goes back to nothing.
IP Logged

trogg
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 8:55pm »

I did partially strip my rear calipers and lube the the levers. Unfortunately this was only to last a for a short time   Sad
The long term remedy is to replace the calipers I think. Well thats what I did anyway.
I was going to have new ones but finances didn't allow it. In the end, I got some god 2nd hand ones from Paul (PaulScorp) and Russ (NuttyScorp).
There are still some good calipers out there and more Scorpios getting broken for spares by the hour.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 4:39pm »

Paul, when you removed the levers do they just pull out once the bolt ontop has been undone? Also would the brakes then need to then be re-bled?

Cheers, Matt
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 6:53pm »

Matt... I never actually removed those levers.  

Once the 10mm nut is removed, they can be teased upwards with a suitable lever.

Getting air in the system (and loss of fluid) was something I wanted to avoid at the time so I just cleaned and lubricated the section of the piston I could see.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you kept going they'd pop right out. But yes, you would have to retain the fluid somehow and then bleed afterwards.

BTW... if you do just lever them up like I did, bear in mind that pushing them back down will push the pads against the disc. So you'll be needing to undo the caliper and get the disc out of the way beforehand.

IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
twoakers

2.9 12v Ultima on LPG

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 10:19pm »

I did mine last month. It cost about £143 all in for a pair of rear calipers AND flexible pipes. Best to 'bite the bullet' and buy 'new'. Mine were service exchange unit from my local motor factors.
The good thing is that the handbrake is now good for another 10 years  Grin
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 1st, 2006, 3:12pm »

I've  just recently  replaced  my rear brake pads, I noticed on the old  pads    ( annoyingly  after I'd  fitted the new ones  Huh  )   a raised pimple  on the  metal  back designed to  fit into one of the 4 recesses   on  the piston.

Will   it  be   necessary  to dismantle and  re-position the pads,     or   is   it   of   little   importance ?   Kiss
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 1st, 2006, 3:16pm »

that little tag locates into 1 of 4 slots in the brake pistion, it's function: its allows the handbrake to self adjust without the pistion unscrewing fully,  

also, if the tag isnt located in of of these slots, it wont sit right and may always rub on the one side of the pad untill it has worn away

so, get the tools out again and get the wheel off  Tongue Tongue Wink
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 2nd, 2006, 5:20pm »

Cheers Matt, Top Advice,  the pads and discs  were exactly as you described, luckily I'd only done a  dozen miles  with  them wrongly  fitted so no damage done. The Handbrake now holds the car  on my town's steepest hill  Grin  

Strangely  this  important  advice is not mentioned  in any  of the brake information  on this site (   or in the  Haynes  Granada/Scorpio   Manual  ) .
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: May 2nd, 2006, 5:26pm »

Hey

glad to be of some help, any damage done to the edge of the pad? unlikely if you have only done a dozen miles

my dads cougar had the same problem but went unoticed untill the next time they were changed, damaged one of the 4 tags on the piston and the pad was wedge shaped !
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.