Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater Only Blows Cold Air. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Heater Only Blows Cold Air.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater Only Blows Cold Air.  (Read 1133 times)
Vince

2.3 Scorpio Ultima and Volvo FH12 Globetrotter.

View Profile WWW

Heater Only Blows Cold Air.
« on: Apr 28th, 2006, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, a brief re-cap.

I bought a very tidy, low mileage R-reg 2.3 Ultima from a trader, but after a week of driving it about I have found various faults so back it has gone.  

His mechanic doesn't seem too clued up, but is fazed by my seemingly all encompassing knowledge of Scorpios.......in reality of course I am just quoting verbatim the replies you guys gave to my Scorpio questions ten minutes previously! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, one of the problems is that the heater will not blow hot air. The engine reaches a good running temperature (ascertained by feeling cooling system pipes as well as reading the gauge) and the fan cuts in and out as it should. The digital display at the heater control moves up and down but the air output is always cold.

I am sure that even his mechanic will have checked for an airlock so is there a next most likely candicate for this failure. I am thinking maybe the heater control panel?

Any thoughts?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Heater Only Blows Cold Air.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 9:47pm »

Vince, Isn't this the symptom of a blocked heater matrix?. May be 'back flushing' it would clear it ?. Theis may help  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1144217646;start=3#3.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Vince

2.3 Scorpio Ultima and Volvo FH12 Globetrotter.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:03pm »

I would be surprised if the matrix was blocked as the car is young and has a very low mileage and the inside of the header tank seems completely free of any sediment or discolouration.  

At the end of the day, it's his problem- that's why I paid a dealer price- so he is going to have to fix it. I am sure he must wish he had sold the car to someone slightly more willing to fall for "motor-trader BS" though............

Once the problems have been ironed out I am sure the car will be a sweetie.
IP Logged
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:25pm »

try a c/c reset, follow the full procedure, and do it 3/4 times (doesent always work first time)

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ccreset.htm

i had a similar problem with mine, backflushed, helped a bit, and the c/c reset put it back to how it should be.

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 12:42am »

There is a flap inside the heater assembly which adjusts the proportion of heated/unheated air going to the vents.  If you have climate control then this will be moved by an electric motor to the correct position.  Could be that the matrix is getting hot but the flap is stuck in the 'cold' position...

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 1:12am »

Is the matrix outlet pipe hot or cold? If it is cold then this means there is an airlock or it is blocked.
  I've just had to change the heater matrix on my '98 R reg as that kept blocking up. Back flushing it might help as it made mine work for a while, but eventually it blew cold again & so I changed the Matrix. Now it works perfectly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.