Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 12:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Demented Temp guage »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Demented Temp guage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Demented Temp guage  (Read 319 times)
Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

Demented Temp guage
« on: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I drove 150 miles in the old hearse today and I have noticed that (apart from my impending bankruptcy due to fuel costs) the temp guage likes to jump from cold, to normal running temperature and vice versa.  It was all over the place when  I was bouncing along the fens!

I assume this is electrical.  Are there known problems like this?

Where can I find the temperature sender (2.9 12v) to replace it?
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Re: Demented Temp guage
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:55pm »

May not be the sensor - thermostat may have failed open which would also cause poor fuel economy.  Depends how quick the gauge moves from one extreme to the other - if it's more or less instant then yes, probably electrical - if slowly then needs further investigation.

Darren
IP Logged
lonesomecajun

Yeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwww !!!!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:59pm »

Had the same problem on one of my 24v's and it was indeed the temperature sender or ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor).

I believe on the 12v you can find it here - http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/12vlooms.htm

scroll down to the diagram near the bottom and it's the sensor marked B10 with C859 written beneath it.

Only costs a few quid even from Ford Main Dealer.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 7:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

does sound like the sensor,but could also be the thermostat as well  Huh...
how is the heater behaving?,is it blowing warm/cool or hot air on the warmest setting?,if the heater is not producing hot air,probably the thermostat,but like lonesome says the switch is about a tenner,so if you can do it yourself,not too expensive
IP Logged
Zombie

Will dance for petrol...

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 4:49pm »

The needle is moving quite quickly, and the heater blows out hot air when set to HI

I'll do the temp sender first, then I can see if the thermostat is letting the engine over cool on a run.

The Behemoth is doing 22 MPG since its service, which is a step in the right direction.

I got quoted £1400 for an LPG conversion, but I prucased a HD plasma TV today so I will have to just have to walk to work to save petrol.

IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:54pm »

sorry to butt in here but ive also got a temp guage that doesnt know how to behave it's self

firstly it takes ages for it to get to the normal temp reading (half way between blue and red tags) i can drive 5 miles in bham rush hour before it gets to that

second. when it has got to that stage, if i drive over 60mph for any period of time, the guage goes down and on sunday doing my flat out run on the m6 the guage when back into the blue zone?  

im thinking over sensertive temp sensor but it could be anything with my car, but i do know that the cooling system isnt that good!

IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2006, 5:51pm »

Sounds just like symptoms of missing or failed open thermostat.  Should get up to temperature and then stay there or not far off if thermostat is working fine.

Darren
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:10pm »

My temp gauge was doing this the other week 2.9 12v, I took off the wire ( from under the car with plastic tray removed next to the A/C compressor) cleaned it with brake cleaner, crimped it up a bit with some pliers and its been fine since.  

Might be worth fitting a new thermostat and gasket if you have MPG problems as they are quite cheep compared with fuel! Be carefull not to shear off any of the bolts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.