Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 2:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ford Key Set - can I program a new red key? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Ford Key Set - can I program a new red key?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ford Key Set - can I program a new red key?  (Read 834 times)
johndyork

There's a hole in my pocket!

View Profile Email

Ford Key Set - can I program a new red key?
« on: May 3rd, 2006, 10:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi - my regular black key started snagging in the ignition lock recently so I stopped using it.  I have the original red key which works perfectly.  Whilst fiddling with keys I found any key will open the driver door (just like the good old days!) Boot & passenger door lock are OK.

I asked at the local FMD and their prices are typically:
- £72 to buy full lock kit (not sure how many keys)
- £90 to fit ignition barrel from kit & program key
- 1 hr (approx £80) to fit a door lock
- £30 to buy just a door lock
- £50 to buy just a door lock & FMD build barrel, I fit.
- £21.50 for a key incl VAT (not programmed?)

Option 1: To buy a full lock set:
- anyone know how many keys you get (red/2black)?
- can I program a new red key if I have an existing red key?  (Total £72)

Option 2: Get two keys cut from existing red (can program them OK from red one) & get new door lock and either build it to match key or get FMD to build it & I fit. (£73/£93)

Any help with questions in Option 1: would be appreciated. Huh
Regards, john d york.

IP Logged

N Reg 2.9 12v Silver Saloon
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Ford Key Set - can I program a new red key?
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2006, 11:18pm »

John,

I seem to remember Snoopy had special experience of this one, I suspect he may be along shortly with some ideas.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2006, 7:34am »

In short you can programme up to 15 keys from the original red one see THIS.

I would personally get one new lock and rebuild to fit the existing key there are details on the main site HERE

There are howver cheaper options fro getting new keys reprogrammed try the autolocksmith association http://www.home-own.co.uk/ala/
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Mottsy

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2006, 7:38am »

I would not hang about in making your decision.  

My ignition lock was snagging a bit one day and would not work at all the next! Luckily the red key still worked and I managed to get it to FMD for a new ignition lock. (This was about £70 a couple of years ago.)
Since then I've had no problems.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2006, 9:43am »

John,as Motsy says the most important thing is to get the old lock out and to do so you need to turn the key to Pos 1. This allows you to place a thin probe through the column,press the spring,and simply withdraw the whole lock. If you can't get it to Pos 1 it's a nightmare job. The lock re-build kit is £12 21 inc vat. I did mine last month and if I can do it anyone can. You need to get them to 'read' your key so that you know in which order to assemble the parts. All explained on the site as Snoopy says. The door lock is slightly different to the ignition lock but the link is there on the page.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
johndyork

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 4th, 2006, 10:48pm »

Thanks guys for tips and links.  Sounds like best value option is to buy new ignition lock (~£13),  new door lock (~£30 or less) and  two new keys (~£40) (current black keys look very worn compared to unused red) -  which should get ignition lock reliable and door security back and a few years peace of mind.  The lock re-build sounds like a challenge - thanks Simmo for confidence booster!

Be grateful if anyone knows how many keys come with a lock set  - would be good value at £72 if contained ignition + 2xdoor + boot barrels and say red + 2 black keys - sounds like I would have to get FMD to programme new red key though assuming you can't programme a new red key from an old red key - this cost may mean lock set not an option.

Would it be that a new red key would program the 'car' and then be able to programme further blacks without the need for the original red at all once the lock is changed - or is the car code fixed and this programmes the keys? Not quite sure of where the 'original' code lives - on key or car
Regards, john d york. Huh
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 5th, 2006, 5:41am »

John, On the lock re-build site there is reference to the need for circlip pliers.I got an interchangeble set from Draper ( £7 5O stock no 19735). They were perfect for the job. The external circlip is very strong and the internal one is recessed and needs a fine point to extract it. These pliers made the job simple www.draper.co.uk
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 5th, 2006, 9:34am »

Hi John,

I bought and fitted a new lock set about 18 months ago with the help of this fantastic site and its members.  

When I bought my car it came with 1 black key, both door locks broken, boot lock inoperative and an aftermarket alarm with a dodgy remote so new locks were a bit imperative  Wink

The lockset includes:

- ignition barrel
- 2 door locks
- boot lock
- 2 black keys and 1 red key

Cost about £70 as you know, requires red key programming to car at a cost of roughly £75 by a Ford main dealer. This should take minutes really, though mine took a bit longer as the old keys were deleted from the cars memory, there were 5 of them and you have to wait a few minutes in between each system change apparently!

Pretty easy to fit, BUT as Simmo says - for goodness sake get the circlip pliers! I did the job without these and I think that messing with the circlip on each front door took nearly as long as the rest of the job put together  Roll Eyes

Once you have a red key programmed to the car, you can then program black keys yourself but you do need to use the red key in this procedure.

Cheers  Smiley
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2006, 2:40pm »

Auto Locksmiths Association ussually do it cheaper than FMD. and they ussually come to your house.

If you live near LUTON there is a member there who will do it and give some discount AFAIK... ( now see if my grey matter can remember his logon name HuhHuh?) I thinks its JACK CG. but will check later
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
johndyork

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 6th, 2006, 10:40pm »

Grateful thanks to all on the site for another successful job re keys/locks.  Costs(all ex vat): Door lock kit £25.06, Ignition lock kit £9.36, New Keys £16.50 - FMD parts person gave me a 10% discount when I asked him to read key for me and what was the best price he could do - guess he reckoned anyone doing jobs on a Scorpio deserves a break!

Ignition lock and door lock easy to build with instructions on site  and a bit of nouse.  Re instructions I found an 18mm socket provided a better 'stand' for the barrel plug than an adjustable wrench so the wafers/spacers could easily be dropped in.  Black keys easy to program using instructions in handbook & ignition barrel very easy to remove from steering column.
Regards, john d york.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 6th, 2006, 11:28pm »

Well done John. Glad you have been successful. Told you if I could do it anyone could!!. Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
johndyork

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 6th, 2006, 11:41pm »

Cheers Simmo!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.