Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 10:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Air-Con »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Air-Con
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Air-Con  (Read 306 times)
Penguin

Scorpio Owner 12/05 - 7/07

View Profile

Air-Con
« on: May 18th, 2006, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a quick query on the air-con.  My car is un-modded (though not for much longer hopefully) and the air-con appeared - in the recent hot weather - to be at least satisfactory.  

There is just one thing, however.  I got caught in a traffic jam and the air-con's cooling effeciency went right down - still cold but not nearly as cold as the air that is delivered when the car is moving.  I did notice however that the engine temperature did not rise (as is the case on most cars with air-con when they get stuck in traffic).  

Am I therefore to assume that the car has some sort of clever cut-out on the air-con to prevent overheating and what I have just described does not therefore constitute a fault. (System diagnosis shows fault 57 - and has done ever since I've had the car but as there is nothing objectively wrong with the system I've never bothered with it).  

Cheers

Penguin
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

Re: Air-Con
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2006, 2:24pm »

Is the compressor turning over when the system is switched on? Thats the unit on the front of the wheel at the drive belt, it has 3 large nuts. If that is not turning when AC is on, it is not working and you will get the symptoms you describe as no aircon is getting into the vents. When you are on a run, cooler air comes in through the intake. I've had my fair share of probs over the last couple of weeks and it turned out the system was empty. When was the last time you had a re-gas?
IP Logged

Penguin

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2006, 3:44pm »

Yes the compressor turns. Also starting the car now (but not moving it) produced cold air in the cabin within fifteen seconds.  

I have only had the car since Jan but the service history shows it was re-gassed last service in November '05.

The above mentioned problem only occured after some time in a long traffic jam and does not occur when the car is stopped briefly (eg at lights).  

Cheers

Paul
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2006, 3:47pm »

hi there

check the condition of the polen filters.  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cabinfilters.htm

while you're there, make sure it's cycling on and off. might just be running all the time and freezing the system.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/deicetest.htm

hth
IP Logged
Penguin

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2006, 4:24pm »

Testing the de-icer is beyond my very limited technical skills - garage can do that at service.

As to the polen filters they look like they've been in about six months.  Did notice one of the four clips that should be holding the lid down is missing though and some water gathered in that area, however when the lid was removed it turned out it was still down tightly and no water was in the chamber. Nevertheless where could I get a spare clip from?  

Cheers

Paul Mendes
squish202
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 18th, 2006, 10:08pm »

If the air-con works fine when car is moving but seems to 'turn off' when stopped then it could be that the cooling fans aren't running.  If they don't then the pressure inside the air-con system will build up and the trinary switch will turn off the compressor (and should run fans at high speed) until it drops again.

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.