Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 24th, 2024, 4:14am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Two Scorpios, many problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Two Scorpios, many problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Two Scorpios, many problems  (Read 340 times)
wuv

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Two Scorpios, many problems
« on: May 19th, 2006, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to this site and fairly new to Scorpios, but already the electrical gremlins have started.

My 24v estate has decided to lock me out. It only ever unlocked with the remote (doors will lock on the key, but not unlock) and now the car's battery has gone flat for some reason so obviously the remote locking isn't working, and nor is the boot lock solenoid. The only two possible solutions I have come up with are a) force the bonnet open and stick my jump pack on the battery or b) smash a window. Neither of these are particularly desirable so I'm wondering if there's another way of getting into the car. I should also say that the remote probably won't work as I replaced the batteries in it (thought this was the problem to start with) so it'll presumably need reprogramming.
The other bizarre fault the estate has is that it drops down to three cylinders as soon as you put it in reverse, although it runs absolutely perfectly in neutral and drive. Anyone come across this before?

I also have a 1995 TD saloon which recently needed its battery charging after an extended period of inactivity. On putting the battery back on it started first time and drove round the block perfectly, and everything seemed to work as it should. On coming back to the car last night though, I noticed that all the ignition lights were on. Now as soon as I reconnect the battery the ignition switches on and goes through all its checks and the glowplugs kick in, even though the (aftermarket) immobiliser seems to be working and this normally prevents any of the ignition circuitry from being switched on. If I get in and turn the key nothing happens, except that when I release the key the radiator fan kicks in  Huh.  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Why did Ford have to make these things so complicated?
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

Re: Two Scorpios, many problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2006, 12:45pm »

the 2.5 sounds like water ingress.  the24v someone will be on ina bit to tell you how to get into it
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2006, 12:58pm »

Hi yep my 24v drops cylinders in reverse but fine in D and N but mine will only do it once in a blue moon, so I havent found the problem yet I suspect it may be the wiring between the engine valley near the bulkhead, as in reverse the engine torque twists on its mounts the opposite way, thus there could be a short on one of the edis wires causing a loss of 2 cylinders.  As for getting in it, it sounds like your key / locks are worn, mine wont work in the drivers door but will in the passengers and tailgate, so try this first.  Also you can jack up the front of car, remove plastic undertray and connect charger to starter motor lead and engine block to charge battery, this will avoid breaking windows etc
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2006, 1:04pm »

If the battery has gone dead then you should be able to just unlock the doors individually with the key. If you haven't had the car long then the previous owner could have had the locks replaced & not given you the new key. Alot of keys will fit the lock & lock the car but obviously not unlock it.
Also if you have glass cover on your insurance you could break the window & then make a claim....it's a thought Wink
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 19th, 2006, 4:10pm »

On the diesel, check the wiring loom where it passes in front of the radiator (strictly speaking, the air-con condensor).  Mine has burnt out there and was causing problems with the fans and dash lights staying on even with key removed.

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.