Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 2:36pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« funny things happenning.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   funny things happenning....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: funny things happenning....  (Read 536 times)
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

inverness342000   phatbru
View Profile Email

funny things happenning....
« on: May 23rd, 2006, 1:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

Ive got some trouble with my beloved again.... She runs fine afround the town, idles as normal, and accellerates ok, but take her out on the open road.... different story!

Any sign of a hill, or under load, at 50mph+ and it just dies.... feels like its out of fuel? No sign of a missfire, and if i dip the clutch, and give it a rev, its ok again.... any ideas guys?  

Im aware that most of you will suggest an obd check....  Its not very practical for me, as nobody around here will touch the car (for a reasonable price) for a diagnostic check...SO, any good old fashioned ideas out there, to put me in the right direction?  

My money is on a fuel pump failing, will anyone back me up?

In case anyone doesnt know, its a 2.3! Car has been fully serviced with ford parts last month, including new plugs.

donnie
IP Logged
Meg

Email

Re: funny things happenning....
« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2006, 1:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi-what about the fuel filter (clogging) could be impeding flow,it seems to be missed at a lot of services.
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 23rd, 2006, 1:54pm »

Fuel filter was replace3d at this service, i always buy ford parts and get them fitted by a local mechanic... I have asked him about this problem, but car not booked in to be looked at till next week...... If i can diagnose it before he gets it, it saves me money, and his time!

My thoughts are a weak fuel pump?  Car has done 130000 miles, so not excessive, but i suppose parts can go at any time.  

donnie
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2006, 3:34pm »

I had a similar problem on my old 95 Scorpio, but not as severe. The engine would feel like it was holding back. I thought it might be the fuel pump as it didn't feel like a misfire & only happened under load.
To cut a long story short...it ended up being the coil packs at fault.
It's worth considering.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2006, 4:51pm »

Throttle plate sticking?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2006, 5:55pm »

Weak   petrol/air   mixture ?
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2006, 5:56pm »

thanks for the thoughts guys... more likely a coil pack, might try to get a hold of one to try.

not likely the throttly plate highlander, as it usually happens on steady throttle... the car just seems to die a bit, then when the load is off, will rev freely again. A couple of times the car has stalled completely, but i have bump started it again, while still on the move Wink

Cant do very much till car goes into garage next week, was hoping it was something that could be diagnosed easily, so i could have the parts for the garage next week, but really has put the damper on long runs, as im scared to go too far in case it will stop completely!!

donnie
IP Logged
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2006, 5:58pm »

thats what it feels like mr floppy, as though car is running out of fuel? so many possibilities, i know its gonna be a hard one to figure out without obd!
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2006, 6:40pm »

had a very similar thing on my audi, eventually wouldnt start at all. turned out to be the spark arcing across from the lead to the earth terminal on the coil. lick of nail varnish across the burn track and jumped back into life, full power.
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2006, 1:01am »

When I changed my coil packs I took a chance (I didn't know for definate that they were the problem). It was just a guy I picked up in my Taxi (said he used to work for Ford) who noticed it & said "yea mate, thats your coil packs".
On his advice (in desperation & hope). I went & bought two coil packs from Ford (£60 each).
He was bang on....... The only trouble is, I dropped him off at the end of a dark alley, & he dissappeared into the night...never to be seen again.......so don't know who he is.....but must be out there somewhere.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2006, 6:58am »

Donnie, As you say the car was recently serviced have you checked for any loose pipes or even checked that the plugs are (a) tight,(b) the correct ones and (c) correctly gapped ?. If I recall correctly, all these points have been the cause of problems in the past. Could it be that in doing the work some part of the loom has been 'disturbed' or even a connector that may need a clean.  

IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
invernessguy

2.3 ultima taxi

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:23pm »

Thanks again for all your thoughts guys....  

I am beginning to suspect the coil packs myself, as yey i have not taken the covers off.... but will try and have a wiggle around before the weekend.

As the problem is intermittent, i cant replicate it with the vehicle stopped.... might try and find a small person to go under the bonnet while i drive at 70 and maybe beep the horn till when happens, as a signal for them to wiggle the wires?

But seriously.... its possible that the loom was disturbed while fitting new plugs. They were the correct ones, i expect they were correctly gapped, and tightened up ok. I have every faith in my mechanic. Had a quick look around for loose pipes etc, nothing obvious.

I expect that the problem is causing obd codes, but i have no way of reading them here.

donnie
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 24th, 2006, 11:20pm »

Hi Donnie, sorry to hear about your troubles... could it be the cat? Not unknown for a cat which is breaking up to give these kind of symptoms. Hope you sort it out soon or maybe just go to the pub??

Geoff
IP Logged
tommy1340millar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 25th, 2006, 1:09am »

mine was also doing that . Let it build up and no prob, but ask it to 'give it some', it used to just plonk itself down on it's big fat arse.

cracked exhaust manifold and new cat.
failed mot on Co2, diagnosis new cat. When my mate went to fit the new cat, the exhaust manifold almost came off in 2 bits. He welded it, re-tested the car, but cat was still dodgy.
now car goes very well. hth, tommy
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 25th, 2006, 7:04am »

The 'fault finding' page does say that the symptoms could indicate the cat BUT it could also be a plug problem. Fingers crossed for the latter!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 25th, 2006, 8:19am »

Does sound like the ignition is breaking down under load.

If it was fuel it would do it all the time not just under a sustained load usally.
IP Logged

Dave
Paulus

Big and Ugly....DON'T MESS!!!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 25th, 2006, 10:20am »

I had a similar problem too. It turns out that I had some dodgy connections on to the coil pack. They were all corroded. I stripped back the wires and re-soldered some new wires into the connector plug. Success.

MUCH cheaper than a new coil pack.  Grin
IP Logged

If I said you had a beautiful body.....
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.