Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PDR Repairs? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   PDR Repairs?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PDR Repairs?  (Read 415 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

PDR Repairs?
« on: May 24th, 2006, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anyone have any experience of Paintless Dent Removal.

I have a small crease in the boot lid of my Scorp, which I'm going to try and get rid of. I've read just about every web site going about this subject to get some idea of what's involved.  

At it's simplest it seems to involve 'massaging' the crease out. There are all sorts of weird and wonderful tools which these guys use, things I've never even heard of before (glue pullers for example), but this is just a small repair, so I'm going to have a go at it.

If anyone HAS done such a repair, I'd appreciate your ideas. Once I've done the repair, I'll post some pictures before and after.
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: PDR Repairs?
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2006, 6:55am »

i have used a very good guy before who works for a company called chips away,basically he does everything from dent removal-interior repair-cracked bumpers.....
having watched him "remove" some p[arking dings from 1 of my doors,i would not try it,various tools,mirrors to reflect the image back to him,and most important of all,doing it bit by bit untll it looks spot on,apparently all it takes is going "too far" once,and the wole door looks creased,and then you are trying to chase it back all the time,for the sake of about £40.00 why not pay someone to do it?,but get some recomendations first,there are some excellent "smart repairers" out there....
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 25th, 2006, 8:53am »

Didn't realise that it could be that cheap.  

I will look into this, and Thank You. I was even contemplating buying another boot lid as this crease although small, spoils the overall look of the car.
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2006, 9:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've tried a glue puller before & they are only really good for large dents that pop out easily. They dont work on very small dents as they are harder to pull out & the glue stick just tends to come off.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: PDR Repairs? Update
« Reply #4 on: May 26th, 2006, 7:39pm »

I decided to tackle this myself. Firstly I took out the boot lid liner, and whilst I was in there, I gave the boot opening mechanism a light spray of white grease which has now made the boot open first time every time.
Then. I located the inside 'raised' part of the crease. I was lucky yesterday, as it was a really hot sunny day, and I'd already read that having the metal at a nice warm temperature was a good start.

Anyway, with an old handle from a chisel, I very gently started to work the area out by massaging the metal area from the outside, inwards. It took me about an hour, bu you now have to look very hard indeed to find where it was, and if you didn't know, you probably wouldn't find it.  

Well Pleased. Couldn't photo it unfortunately, as my digi camera batteries have disappeared.......I'm looking for my daughter who I suspect has borrowed them!!

I wouldn't be too worried now about tackling this sort of minor 'ding' again. Just needs a lot of patience, and the conviction that you CAN do it. I really am very pleased with the result. It's almost like a brand new lid.    Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
IP Logged
monghad

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 26th, 2006, 9:57pm »

A change of name needed here I think, Dingdemon seems more fitting a handle(pardon the pun). Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.