Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2024, 3:17am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Loud whoosshtt almost sorted. PICS »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Loud whoosshtt almost sorted. PICS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Loud whoosshtt almost sorted. PICS  (Read 848 times)
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

Loud whoosshtt almost sorted. PICS
« on: May 27th, 2006, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello are you sitting comfortably ?  
Then I will begin.
As I said previously to my idle problem.
I get a woosshhtt sound when reving (like a dump valve almost) You know some sierra cossys have them.
I would try blocking a little air from my airbox as gas idles great when doing this. Well I did a temp job and it idles great. However the obvious then happens. When pulling away it doesnt have the air to do it. So it suffercates. So thats that idea.  
Next I got a large pipe to use as a funnel to funel the sound to my ear. From the engine to where the whooosstt sound comes from. I seem to have located it.
I got a blade of grass because I couldnt feel any air escapeing.
It seems to be sucking the blade of grass into the end of the engine pipe. Could all my troubbles of been caused by this I wonder?
Can anyone help to identify this pipe? what does it do? what is it conected on with is there a seal blown perhaps?
I appreciate any thoughts or comments thank you.
Regards.
                    Derek

In green a little graze in a different pipe which seems fine.
In
red red red red red red red red red red red red red red
is where the pipe conects into "whatever it is" THIS IS WHERE IT APPEARS TO BE LEAKING.(anyone know what the pipe is and what the (whatever it is is??).
In blue the rest of it which seems to go around the back of the engine?

This shot is to show where it seems to be leaking from. At the right where it attaches. Does this just push in?? I dont want to just fumble on without asking someone.

[/sub][sub]
IP Logged

derekne
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Loud whoosshtt almost sorted. PICS
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2006, 9:53pm »

hi

it looks like the flang connection for the egr pipe (althought cant really tell from those pics  Undecided)

it's it's a metal pipe and it connected via bolts (have you or a machanic done any work arround that area?), there should also be a gasket between the 2 flanges  

IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 28th, 2006, 6:10am »

Hello and thank you for your reply. It does have a gasket in the middle of the two flanges.  It was really awkward and hard to take a pictue because of where it was. I had to move rubber pipes and things with one hand then take pics witth the other.
Cheers.
   Derek
IP Logged

derekne
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2006, 9:45am »

I confirm, that is the EGR pipe.

PS: mine does woooshhht sound also but there's no air leak, it's the sound of the air passing throught the trottle body.
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 28th, 2006, 1:31pm »

hi there

could the manifold have a crack in it? though normally it the other end that cracks.

can you get a small bit of mirror in to have a look? maybe even from underneath. Undecided
IP Logged
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 29th, 2006, 8:56pm »

Hello and thank you for your posts.
I will try and have a closer look with a mirrow if I can. Its booked in at the lpg garage in sunderland for this air leak. They seem to think it could be the manifold. Which they said ment lots of dreaded labour. Taking all the egr ect pipes out of the way to gain proper access. This sounds expensive. However if all this Was took apart .When rebuilding surely it would sort out this pipe anyways? I just dont want to be billed for something thats not needed if it is just the egr pipe.
Can you tell me what the egr pipe carrys? Is it just air?
Regards.
    Derek
IP Logged

derekne
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 29th, 2006, 9:08pm »

on May 28th, 2006, 9:45am, Octavian_P wrote:
I confirm, that is the EGR pipe.

PS: mine does woooshhht sound also but there's no air leak, it's the sound of the air passing throught the trottle body.

So this noise may not be contributed to the air leak then.
When at the garage. They put a welder on the end of the egr pipe where I circled red. Just the end of welder where the flame comes out. (not egnited) and it stoped the hunting  (reving) and idled perfect. Ive never seen this done before or heard of it ever. Im not sure if he had the air on I dont think he did. He said this leak is causing to much air to get in and thats the problem. The computer on the car he said is constantly trying to adjust the fuel. As it thinks its running rich. This he said is why it revs. Reving from 250rpm with battery light flickering almost stalling on to 1200rpm.
Its so d**n annoying when in stop start traffic. As sometimes it leaps forward when I slowly lift the clutch.
IP Logged

derekne
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 9:53pm »

The car was taken to the garage and was finaly done.
I asked what it was and sheepishly he said your right it wasnt the manifold. It was the EGR PIPE Smiley
It had a new gasket and some sealer put on the pipe. a Thats it done and dusted in 30 mins. What a load of hickuping all all sorts. Ive had to put up with for a year. As Other garages were just fogging me off. With its the lpg system go to a installer. Then its a machanicle problem go to a garage Angry
This car now goes like a dream. Im really looking forward to every drive. Im even finding silly excuses to drive now. Grin
Thank you for your replys. Look out for this stalling problem or hunting with air leaks. As one day it could be youHuh
Below is the garage in Sunderland PS (look out for Claire working there mmmm Wink)
Regards..........
                       Derek

SORRY PHOTOBUCKET WOULDNT MAKE THIS ANY SMALLER.
IP Logged

derekne
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 9:11am »

What type of sealent did they used ?
IP Logged

derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 10:11am »

on Jun 15th, 2006, 9:11am, Octavian_P wrote:
What type of sealent did they used ?

Hi,
Unfortunately I dont know I never asked them im sure if you phoned. The number in the pic they could let you know. All I know is it looks black in colour and it must have one hell of a hold. As its as
"sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound" "sound as a pound"

Sorry I honestly havent a clue what it is.
Regards.
    Derek
IP Logged

derekne
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 1:00pm »

Probably an epoxy based glue will do, i'll try on mine and see if i get rid of the annoying hick-up  Tongue
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.