Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:14pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Found my loom problems - how to fix? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Found my loom problems - how to fix?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Found my loom problems - how to fix?  (Read 1206 times)
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

Found my loom problems - how to fix?
« on: May 29th, 2006, 5:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey up,

Regular viewers may remember my poor running, O/D light, 02 sensor fuse blowing, poor gear selection, etc etc problems.

Sage members of the board suggested loom worries, and I've finally found the problem. It's the section between the 'V' of the 24v Cossie (yes, the really easy bit to look at...)  

Looks like oil from a rocker cover weep and heat has destroyed the insulation - it's just flaking off. I gave it a squirt of carb cleaner to clear some of the muck away, and it just turned to plastic dust. Almost hilarious.

It's irreparable I reckon. So I'm going to have to swap it out. Is this hard? Do I have to drop the tranny? Does anyone have a (really, really) good one I can buy off them?

Will go and check the main site now and see what I can find...

Cheers,

Al
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Found my loom problems - how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 29th, 2006, 6:33pm »

I would have a look on the main site, I think someone did a repair a while back and also rerouted the new, longer loom to avoid the other heat sources. Also, keep your eyes open on EBay for a late (1998 or late 1997) cosworth that is being broken. The later cars had a revised insulation which wasn't as prone to heat damage

Baz
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 29th, 2006, 7:02pm »

The damaged section will almost certainly be unrepairable, but if you can cut it back to good wiring then just replace the damaged area.  Somebody here recently wanted to buy a new loom rather than repair their old one - FMD wanted over £1K for it!!!

Incidentally, I've replaced an entire stretch of loom in my engine bay - the one for the cooling fans which runs along the back of the front crossmember.  It's got about 2ft of totally new wiring in that area (starting from the LH headlamp), crimped at both ends to the undamaged parts of the existing loom.  It doesn't look pretty but that's only because I didn't have any black insulating tape and had to use bright green!  Roll Eyes

Darren
IP Logged
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: May 29th, 2006, 7:07pm »

Yep, I'll do that rather than drop the tranny if I have to. Cut and splice in the loom at the back of the heads, shouldn't be too hard to do. Some heatshrink and nice solder, good way to while away a Sunday afternoon...

I've looked at all the tranny wiring underneath - post-cat O2 sensors, VSS etc and that all looks okay. In fact, all the wiring I've looked at up to this section has been fine, which is kinda encouraging I guess. Just that bit with the extreme heat and oil has ruined it.

Nice touch with the green tape. That's the sort of thing I'd do - too lazy to go the shop and spend 40p on a new roll of tape, just get it done with what's there...
IP Logged
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2006, 9:08pm »

Here's a link to a photo of the wiring. How bad is that??!!

No wonder Ford stopped using this plastic. I hope they sacked the tosser who approved it for use.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/alan_dowds@btopenworld.com/album?.dir=/ 396cre2&.src=ph&.tok=phQ_f8EB7JhzKAQI
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 29th, 2006, 10:21pm »

Yep, that's pretty bad but at least you can still tell the colours on the wires!  Should be relatively straightforward (though time consuming) to cut out and replace with new wiring.  Do please make sure that you've identified all the damage though!  Wink

Darren
IP Logged
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: May 29th, 2006, 10:43pm »

I think I'll try and replace the entire section - it will be easier. Also, a lot of the plugs on the loom - to the coil pack, and some of the sensors - are a bit damaged too, clips broken off etc, and there are cracks in the insulation in other places too.

If I can get the section from the two bulkhead bolt-together connectors (C112 and C110) that runs forward, in front of the engine, then back through the V to the tranny, that will sort my troubles.

Like I said, if I can, I'll change it down at the tranny connectors, if not, I'll cut and splice just behind the engine. Anyone done this? It looks like there are only a few wires going back there - most of the damaged ones are for the injectors and the intake manifold sensors.

Just glad to have found the problem - now I can do something about it...
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 29th, 2006, 11:36pm »

They should have insulated the wires with the tape they wrapped the looms up with, that never seems to get damaged in all the ones I have seen!!
IP Logged
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: May 29th, 2006, 11:47pm »

They would have been better insulating it with dried Westphalian mud and string than the crap they did use.
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 30th, 2006, 8:21am »

hi remove loom and take it to an auto electrical firm. had mine done £105 to relace all wires insulate and new trunking.  fmd £1400 + vat but no longer available. as soon as you move the loom insulation will crack everywhere. only other way is to heatshrink every wire in turn.
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 30th, 2006, 9:39am »

Mine wasn't too dissimilar to the photo posted above, caused by a water leak from the pipe between the heads which attacked the insulation.

In the end the damage was fairly localised, didn't go back towards the gearbox but did affect the wiring at the front to the coil pack (DIS), temp sensors, CKP etc.

The inlet manifolds and injector rails came off, I wrapped each wire individually (the insulation was cracked but the actual wiring was largely ok) and replaced a few shortish sections of wiring towards the front.

As above if you choose to repair just make sure you strip back far enough. Took me a few hours but was difficult to reach some bits.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: May 30th, 2006, 10:58am »

It does all seem possible, but I think a new section will be easier.

Did you take yours off to repair? Will be pretty fiddly to do in-situ I think. It's a nice job for on the kitchen workbench, with a good cup of coffee and Radio 4 on in the background...
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: May 30th, 2006, 2:31pm »

No I didn't take it off the car to repair, and yes it was fiddly and not very pleasant in minus temperatures (did it winter just passed).  

Would have been ok if I could get the car in the garage  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: May 30th, 2006, 2:46pm »

Yep. I have a garage but it's in the street, with no power, and is a bit neat for the huge Scorpio. Even if it wasn't crammed with loads of rubbish...

Having no luck with breakers or anywhere for a loom either, rubbish.
IP Logged
fordcos

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 30th, 2006, 2:55pm »

all the looms in breaker will all be about the same state as yours
IP Logged

adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: May 30th, 2006, 2:59pm »

Hmmm. I thought the later cars (post 96) had better insulation that stood up to the job? Is that not the case?
IP Logged
fordcos

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: May 30th, 2006, 3:12pm »

i got a loom off a 97 it was just as bad as the one i removed but i was £60 lighter and a day trip to newcastle and back for it. repair the one you have is the best option
IP Logged

adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #17 on: May 30th, 2006, 3:42pm »

Well unless I find one it'll be my only option...

How long did it take you Dave? A weekend?
IP Logged
adowds

Scorpio Rising

View Profile WWW

« Reply #18 on: May 30th, 2006, 3:44pm »

By the way Fordcos, how did you get yours off to give to the auto electrician? Did you get the tranny plugs off okay?
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: May 30th, 2006, 4:07pm »

Yeah I spread it over a couple of days but could easily have done it in 1. Worst bit for me was stripping down the inlet manifolds to get to the wiring but once you have done it once it is no problem, just a bit fiddly.

Don't forget to look at the loom underneath the radiator top hose, after the loom has exited the heads, as it goes back toward the 2 big multiplugs, mine needed work here.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.