Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« intermittant coolant leak - please help »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   intermittant coolant leak - please help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: intermittant coolant leak - please help  (Read 471 times)
sardine

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

intermittant coolant leak - please help
« on: May 31st, 2006, 11:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi  

I have a 94 24v estate with 90k on the clock which has ben running really well for the last couple of years.

I started to notice a slight coolant loss about 6months ago but its only really been about 0.5L per month so I put it down to air con.

On the way back form a 200m trip the coolant light came on but no overheating.  Next day did short trip and when I stopped i heard a hissing noise and noticed coolant pouring from the nearside by the bottom hose/thermostat arrangement.

The car emptied its coolant -mainly in the form of steam from the nearside.

Got it home. refilled it and ran it on axel stands to try and get any airlocks out.  Seemed fine - no leaks.  I ran it for a good half hour and monitored the temp which never went over 71 on the digital readout or halfway on the guage.

All I found was a drip onto the cat from the aircon so I though I'd pop up to ford and check this was ok.

Got there - engine up to temp - No leaks - stopped the car and suddenly quite a lot of coolant (say 1/2 cupful) ran out from the region of bottom hose.

Managed to get them to put it on the ramps there and then as I felt it would boil dry and not get me home.  Mechanic spends 10mins on ramp with engine running and returns it to me as if I was mad saying there's no leak under pressure.  

However, as he brought the car off the ramp and stopped it, it began to spew water again.

I was told that this would mean booking in for a 2hr diagnostic session at about £100 ph to find the leak.

Took it home and stopped it on the drive and it was still dripping witht he engine running.  Put it back on stands and couln't get it to leak despite pulling and wiggling the hoses.  

Took the car for a run and then it was pouring out with the engine running but I couldn't see where.

Since then it has been loosing 1l coolnt per day (NB no oil in coolant)  but  only on occasions.  The car doesn't overheat.  It mainly spills waterwhen the engine is turned off.

There is no crystaline muck around the hoses.

Anyone know why the car should leak when stationary but not when running??

What do I need to do to get a better look at where the thermostat hose attatches to the block?

Thanks in advance

Darren
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: intermittant coolant leak - please help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 7:40am »

Look to the bottom of the radiator and see on the main site ..... re ballooning radiator.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 8:43am »

check water pump & head gaskets, the 24v seems prone to weeping externally.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:24pm »

I would suggest trying a new reservoir cap, mine went recently and developed an odd liking for throwing its coolant out just after it was switched off. It did this on and off for a few weeks with no pattern to it at all, but has not done it in the 8 weeks since the cap was replaced.

Cost £10.05p from Ford dealer.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.