Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 12:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Strange Mark on Interior Mirror. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Strange Mark on Interior Mirror.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strange Mark on Interior Mirror.  (Read 699 times)
Spannerdemon

Email

Strange Mark on Interior Mirror.
« on: Jun 6th, 2006, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi:  I've got an interior automatic anti-glare mirror. The one that has a small button on it which turns on a small green led.

Last night when I parked the car it was fine. This morning, when I was driving to work, I noticed that it has a mark across the bottom half of it, which looks almost like it's had something spilt over it. Really weird!
It's a bit like half of it has had dark fluid spilt on it (which it hasn't).

It has been VERY hot here recently. Could that have anything to do with it?

Baffled?  Huh   Huh

IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: Strange Mark on Interior Mirror.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 7:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Common problem I'm afraid - the mirror is made from two layers of glass with a crystal substence inbetween which activates when it gets power - it is this that you can see starting to leak.

Take the mirror out asap or put a cloth under it as it can damage the dash!

Dave
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 8:42pm »

Thanks for this Dave.

Not what I wanted to read.......but Thanks!!

So basically the mirrors are crap?   Angry
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 9:14pm »

Read this.http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pcmirror.htm. BUT MOST important. Do as Dave says and protect the transmission/dash area or you'll damage it badly.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 10:16pm »

I also have a problem with the mirror, not a leakage, but it seems permanently dipped (dark). Anyone know the reason?
Sorry Spannerdemon for using your post, but it seemed to much of a trivial problem to start a new post.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 10:21pm »

In short, sounds like its had it. Classic sign of deterioration.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Thanks Simmo/Dave/Jonny

Just been out to the car and put a thick old towel over the gearlever/tray area.
I'll remove the mirror on Friday and see what I can do with it.  
A skip or a hammer seem like possibilities!!  Shocked  Shocked

I'm amazed that something as simple as sunlight can damage this mirror beyond repair. Surely the people who manufacture the mirrors ran tests on them?  They would be getting the sack if they worked for us, that's for sure! All OUR electronics are tested to virtual destruction before they even go into production.

I think it will just be getting emptied out, and covered with plain mirror. Can't be doing with gimmicky things that don't work. Either that or I'll replace it with one from another good make.  

BMW or something  Grin  Cool
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 12:10am »

I can still see behind me...although it's like i've got sunglasses on. I think I'll leave it be. Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 5:32am »

Johnnycab by all means do that BUT do watch for any signs of leaks because they can fail and leak overnight.  Spannerdemon, If you follow the instructions on the link it is possible to 'salvage' the mirror but it does need care to avoid breaking the glass. I found the use of warmth, ie a Hairdryer made life easier when it came to separating the two layers of glass. Also note the method of removal,a downward pull following the slope of the screen NOT inwards towards the cabin.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 8:26pm »

Thanks Simmo. I think I'm going to try and source a plain old fashioned simple mirror that will fit this space. I can do without this comical fitment.

I'm disappointed that these things fail so easily. It seems absolutely amazing to me that you can't park your car in the sun in case it damages the mirror!  

It's like a sketch from Monty Python or Beadle's about.  Grin   Grin

Excuse me Sir. Please don't park your car there. The mirror might attack your car with Alien Blood whilst you're shopping!  

I told someone at work about it today, and he is still rolling around on the floor laughing!

Down here in Torquay, we usually, and hopefully, get loads of sun, and in all seriousness, the idea of seeking out a shady spot every time I want to leave the car has to be a joke. I mean, even in my drive, the bloody sun shines on the car!  

Maybe Tesco will build dark shelters for us, or they will erect huge light proof marquees in the beach car parks?  Grin

All joking aside. I'm really very grateful for your help here, but I just can't get my head round this sad piece of equipment, so it will be going. I'd love to keep the car as standard as possible, but in this cae, I am going to make an exception.

I'm worried that tomorrow, when I shave for work, my bathroom mirror might attack me in the same way. Nightmare situation!  

Revenge of the Mutant mirrors!   Death by reflection!   Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
IP Logged
Atlantic_blue

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 9:26pm »

Our Scorps are not alone in suffering from this problem even the much vaunted german cars suffer from it to & others fitted with theses mirrors the youngest Scorps are 8 years old the oldest 12.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 9:47pm »

So what other cars have these beastly mirrors please?

Maybe a more advanced design might work?
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 10:14pm »

OK. I've now had time to sort this thing out, using the repair guide  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pcmirror.htm

All back in place now. The only difference is that I have completely removed the wiring from the unit, as I can't see any point in just having a green light which doesn't actually do anything. So I now have a straightforward mirror which doesn't even have a dipping lever. I don't drive much at night anyway, so it's no big deal.

Still amazed that these mirrors which, in the main seem to be fitted to luxury cars, can be damaged by excess sunlight. I find it astounding that the developers of them didn't find that out when they manufactured them. Anyway, I for one, will NOT be buying another one, OR travelling around with a towel draped over my gearlever in fear of another of these things dripping "alien-blood" all over my car.

Incidentally it's horrible guey, smelly gunge, which definitely irritates the skin, so beware!!

In time, I'll replace it altogether with a normal 'lever' dipping mirror. Just need to source one from our local scrappie that fits ok, but there's no rush during the longer evenings. I also need to find out how the existing mounting comes off the windscreen, so if anyone has any ideas on that, I'd be grateful. It looks like a sort of sticky pad mounting unless anyone knows different.

Thanks to all of you who helped with info on this one.  Smiley
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 5:45am »

It's a sticky pad  Smiley

Can probably be removed by gently sqeezing a sharp razor blade between the mirror and window, possibly while heating it with a blow dryer.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 12:54pm »

I've had a thought  Shocked

Would it work I wounder, if the mirror could be protected from the heat by the use of some form of either a cool bag or reflective material, as used for example, on windscreens and steering wheels.  Huh

.........Obviously for when parked up  ROFL

Cool
Mike
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 9:08pm »

Thanks Kjetil:

I suspected that's all it was, but just wanted to make sure. Cheaper than a cracked screen.

Also Mike:  Yeah, I think that's a very good idea. It's a pity that there isn't some form of warning on the mirror or in the handbook (which there isn't) explaining the consequences of parking in strong sunlight.  

I'm just going to replace the mirror. I just can't be arsed with the hassle of  another of these comical things.

Thanks both.  Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 7:04am »

You can get a straight replacement to fit in the place of the auto dimming mirror. I did have the finis no for it somewhere, but its got lost in the debris . But this saves the trouble of removing the mounting boss.
UREKA I put it on my write up FINIS 1644639 £27.00
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.