Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Will it never end!? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Will it never end!?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Will it never end!?  (Read 704 times)
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

Will it never end!?
« on: Jun 10th, 2006, 3:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

2.5TDi - 115BHP

Got home from work yesterday and opened the bonnet (just to check, not noticed any problems).  Glad I did because coolant had been squirted all over the RH side of the engine bay!  Eventually I traced this to the stub on the bottom hose, where the filler pipe from the expansion tank joins.  It appears that the stub is leaking from the sides when it is moved.

Looks like I'll need a new bottom hose.  I'd also like a new filler pipe (expansion tank bottom hose) as that was leaking previously where the hose clip had cut into it.

However, after draining and refilling my cooling system today (I took the hose off to see if I could seal the stub with instant gasket but it only worked until pressure built up) and running it for 20 minutes I notice traces of oil in the water!  Cry  I'm hoping it's not a head gasket (there's four of 'em) because it hasn't overheated at all according to the gauge.  If it is then I don't think I'll bother but just sell or part ex. the car...

Darren
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Will it never end!?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10th, 2006, 3:40pm »

Sad

could the oil have got in with a bit of dirt when the pipe(s) were off?

IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:30pm »

Possibly.  I'll have to keep an eye on it (and see if any water getting into oil though at the mo it doesn't look like it).

I've removed the rubber seal from the expansion tank cap and only screwed it on loosely so that the system can't pressurise.  The two problems I can expect with this arrangement is that the cap could fall off (though I think the sound-proofing under the bonnet will prevent this), and coolant loss through evaporation - though this will be less than through the leaking pipe!

Anybody know how much FMD are likely to want for the replacement bottom hose, and filler hose if possible?  Alternatively can I buy one anywhere else, or has anyone got a spare I can buy?  I think running it depressurised will get me through until I can replace it...?

Darren
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 9:36pm »

hi the

get a quote from www.fordpartsuk.com

hth
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:50am »

I don't think i have a spare, but if fordpartsuk can't get you one i could see if my local FMD has one and get it for you on employee discount (30-50% off most parts) if you want?

Matt
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 4:38pm »

I dont think running de-pressurised will work mate. I have a similar problem with either the HG failed or a crack in the head, either way my system is over pressurising and blew/ballooned a couple of hoses as well (no oil though). I tryed the same and the coolant just boiled out the over flow pipe and round the cap. Hose wise, the most expensive from a FMD was £38 + VAT for the top rad hose and I was quoted £144 + VAT for the lot elsewhere.
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 11:05pm »

I've ordered one from FMD this morning - including the hose from the expansion tank it comes to just under £32 - not as bad as I was expecting, though I appreciate the offer of getting me one at discount.  Unfortunately it needs doing before Harewood as I've got a lot of motorway travelling to do that day!

I also tried fordparts.uk but I didn't see Scorpio mentioned, neither did a search reveal anything useful.  As for running it depressurised, well call me foolish, but it's been fine so far (did it Saturday) and I took it for a good run yesterday and got stuck in traffic in the intense midday heat - gauge never went up much above half and cooling fans cut in and out as normal so not too worried there.  Just hope that the head gasket(s) aren't blown because even though I can replace them myself (been a while since I last did one, but shouldn't be a problem), I can't afford the car to be off the road for more than a weekend, I don't want to be working in the blazing sun, and I can't afford the estimated cost of the parts!

Still, if anyone's feeling sympathetic, feel free to send me a cheque to help keep my car running.  Kiss

Darren

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 11:42pm »

Darren

Re: fordparts.uk

You fill in the order form & they’ll send you a quote.

Good service, it seems Trevor often works late.

I emailed last week at 20.55hrs got a quote back at 21.23hrs.
I amended my order at 01.22hrs got a revised quote at 01.41hrs

Obviously you won’t get that service all the time, but so far I’ve found them to be really helpful.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 8:05am »

Good to hear that it works for you Smiley Tongue You can get some sympathy from if mate, if you fancy doing my HG Grin
I to have found FP to be very quick on the response times for quotes. I was quoted for top hose, thermostat, exp bottle and cap within an hour of mailing them.
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:16pm »

I've also got a problem with the ABS light staying on (sometimes going off) which started on Saturday after I jet washed the car.  It's almost certainly a wheel sensor but what's the quickest way of finding out which?

I know it was very naughty, but I did also jetwash the engine bay (partly to clean it up, partly to wash off antifreeze which has been sprayed around) - after all, there's not much electronics on the early diesel engine and the loom plugs for those are low down where I didn't spray.  Pity I forgot about the ABS  Embarassed It could potentially be the module itself but the worst that'll likely be is water in the multi-plug.  Shouldn't be anything I can't sort...

I've got tomorrow afternoon off work as the new hoses have arrived at FMD so I'll fit them and start diagnosing the ABS system - will give me an excuse to take the wheels off and check the brakes in general  Undecided

I really really hope that I don't have to replace the head gaskets, though the old coolant I drained out did feel oily.  Having said that, the leak was from the stub protruding from the bottom hose, which the expansion tank hose connects to.  The stub is a push fit from the inside of the hose and then sealed to the reinforced hose wall and it had started to unseal hence leaking under pressure.  Hopefully all it will need is a new hose and probably to backflush the cooling system to wash out any traces of oil.  The system pressure doesn't seem to be that high (not enough to operate the cap valve) and there's no bubbling, white smoke from exhaust or sign of water in oil.

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:22pm »

In this heat then any water should evaporate from the sensors & multiplug, & the light will probably go out. Then you are no nearer finding where the problem is Grin
Happy hunting  Smiley
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:26pm »

On Sat after washing the car the light only went out once and then came back on once moving.  On Sunday it came on first thing in the morning and then after a restart stayed off for the rest of the day.  Yesterday it was on all the time and same today (though I only turned the ignition on in the car park, I didn't start the engine or move the car).

Not too worried about the fault - both the Rover 800s I've had suiffered from the same problem and both were down to faulty front sensors.  In any case, the MOT isn't until October.

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:30pm »

I've had the same fault recently (last Friday) & put a post on about it. The ABS & Traction control lights would come on & stay on all night. The next day they were fine & haven't come on again since
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 8:17am »

Lol, these things seem to hunt in packs. Mine has also came on/went off a few times over the last month, more often that not when under breaking or going over some bumbs but really only a few times. Light goes off always when re-starting. Least of my worries right now Sad
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 4:41pm »

Quote:
Good service, it seems Trevor often works late.

might be because he's based in canada! Wink Grin

IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 4:51pm »

Well today I fitted the new hoses and also back flushed the engine.  However. after 15m idling there is oil in the water again - not a lot, but following a flush and refill there shouldn't be any.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the diesel doesn't have a oil-water cooler fitted does it?  If not then the only things I can think of are head gaskets or heads/block itself.  I've not had any problems with the engine (apart from being worse on fuel than I'd expect), and it doesn't appear to overheat, but I think I'll be getting rid of it after Harewood as it's not likely to improve over time!  Sad

I also checked the ABS system and I think it is the sensors on the rear wheels causing the trouble.  Both front sensors read practically 0V, the driver's side rear reads about 1mV and passenger side rear reads about 4mV - all these readings are with the car stationary.  Resistance is the same on all sensors apart from the passenger side rear which is lower.

Darren
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 2:28pm »

sent you a pm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.