Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 12:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Strange coolant odor »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Strange coolant odor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strange coolant odor  (Read 519 times)
jerryvr

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Strange coolant odor
« on: Jun 13th, 2006, 8:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a problem with my '96 2.0 16V CLX.

Whenever I turn the heater on, I get a scent of coolant in the car.  
I checked the carpets and they are dry, het car is runnng smoothly, both colant and oli look like they should. I cannot find any leaks under the bonnet and the car does not use any coolant.  I suspect the heater matrix or one of its hoses. Is there a quick way to check this or am I facing a dashboard removal?

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: Strange coolant odor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 10:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The matrix could have a very small leak that wouldn't notice in the car. It usually causes a build up of green gunge on the matrix, but without removing it, it is hard to tell.
If the heating is working okay (red hot) then the matrix obviously isn't blocked. You could try one of the many leak fix fluids, although most members on here wouldn't recommend it.
I have used a few in the past & have found that the Wynns Stop Leak seems to be most long lasting. You could try using just half a bottle or less if the leak is very small.
Unfortunately, if it is the matrix leaking then the only real fix is to replace it...and yes...it's dashboard out time Smiley.
I recently did mine & I must admit that it is very time consuming, but if you follow the instructions on this site then the job is alot easier. I might also add that if you have an auto then taking the top bolt out of the brake pedal so you can swing it sideways makes getting the matrix out easier, but be careful not to break the plungers off the brake light & cruise control switches that are attached to a plate in front of the brake pedal.
Good Luck Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.