Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 2:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cooling Fans »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cooling Fans
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cooling Fans  (Read 396 times)
Jim

1996  2.3    115k and rising

View Profile Email

Cooling Fans
« on: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Blew the top hose last night, just after turning a/c off.
Checked it out this morning and only one fan was working with a/c on, and non at other times. Fan on drivers side is u/s, fuse blown and no response after  
replacement.  
I know that this would stop low speed operation but would it prevent high speed operation on over temperature or is the relay suspect as well. (incidently where is the relay?)
IP Logged

Jim
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: Cooling Fans
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Don't think so, the working fan should run at high speed if required.  

Why not leave it running for a while and see? (Keeping a close eye on the temp gauge).

Have a look at this:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolfans.htm

The relay for the cooling fan is a long green one behind the drivers side headlight.

Cheers
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Jim

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 1:56pm »

Thanks Dave, I think it is a combination fault of a weak top hose and the u/s fan. It was OK while the low speed fans kept it at normal temperature.  As the temperature increased, but before it reached the turn on point for the high speed fans, the additional pressure blew the hose. Waiting for hose from FMD and fans from ebay.
IP Logged

Jim
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 6:07pm »

If you've got a multimeter then check the driver's side fan for continuity before replacing it.  I replaced mine because it wouldn't run but the new one did the same, even though  both the new one and the original ran when connected directly to the battery!

I eventually discovered (by accident) that the loom had burnt out where it passes in front of the radiator - this could explain the blown fuse and non-working fan when replaced.  IIRC the driver's side fan has a permanent +12V supply to it, and the negative terminal is switched to either ground (high speed) or the positive terminal of the passenger side fan, which has a permanent ground connection at the other terminal, (low speed).

From your description it could be that either the relay is not grounded properley, or more likely, that the permanent live to the driver's side fan has failed like mine had.

Darren
IP Logged
Jim

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:59pm »

Continuity checked OK but the top fan was tight. Managed to free it up for testing but bearing was shot. Checked operation of system and working OK. Replaced fan. All is sweet and lightness now ( till the next time). Thanks for the input.
IP Logged

Jim
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.