Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 2:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PLEASE HELP - 98 24v engine overheating »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   PLEASE HELP - 98 24v engine overheating
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PLEASE HELP - 98 24v engine overheating  (Read 1156 times)
rogo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

PLEASE HELP - 98 24v engine overheating
« on: Jun 20th, 2006, 2:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am worried that my wonderful 1998 Scorpio Cosworth has developed a fatal overheating problem!

I would be so grateful if someone out there could help.

The saga started a few months ago - a hose burst (the one on the LH side of the engine, viewed from in front, that runs out from under the underside of the front of the water reservoir across to the front of the engine and has a tee junction that goes down toward the bottom of the engine. it was on the teed off part running down where it burst.)

My garage said that this part was no longer available and did a "plumbers" repair using a short length of copper pipe and two jubilee clips. Unfortunately they managed to apply the clips twisted and they cut into the pipe and it failed and boiled over again a couple of miles into the journey home. They came out and repaired it again by the side of the road and filled up the system with water ( he muttered something about possible air lock?)

Ever since then the car can only be driven for a few miles before it overheats - the temp gauge will creep up to 3 o'clock and stay there - as it always did - then after 3 -4 miles begin creeping further up, slowly at first and then jumps up toward the red zone - then back down again and then back up - this continues, getting higher each time, until I stop and find the water has boiled and steam is forcing its way out arround the reservoir cap and the pressure is obviously far higher than it should be.

The garage initially said - thermostat or head gaskets - they did a CO2 ? test for head gaskets and said that it was negative - no gas in the water?  There appears to be no contamination of the oil by water or water by oil.

After further head scratching and mutterings about a blockage, air locks, thermostat, their advice is - that, notwithstanding the negative CO2 test - it is probably the head gaskets or a crack or other engine fault - and I would be best advised to scrap it!

Can anyone diagnose from this description / suggest what it is most likely to be and solution - other than scrapping!

Many thanks

Roger
IP Logged
fordcos

all i want is for everything to work for once

View Profile

Re: PLEASE HELP - 98 24v engine overheating
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 2:42pm »

sounds like you need to find a garage that are more used to modern engines and a little more helpfull but definatly dont scrap it
IP Logged

where are all the good spares
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 3:17pm »

Hi Roger,

welcome to the site  Smiley

I think you should check that the thermostat is opening properly as it could be stuck shut:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/cooling/Thermo24V.pdf

Put it in a pan of boiling water and see if it opens is the test I think. This problem can also cause funny temperature gauge readings IIRC.

Check that the fans are running - leave the engine running for a while while stationary and see if they come on - keep an eye on your temperature gauge!

Does the radiator look ok? Is it "ballooning"?

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/balloon.htm

Is the coolant full of bits/debris? The radiator may be blocked and need back flushing with a hose pipe.

Check the coolant reservoir cap as this can go wrong and cause water loss which can then lead to overheating (about £17 from Ford).

See how you go on  Smiley

Cheers
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 3:36pm »

Sounds like the stat as stated above

Check the small pipe from the top of the radiator to the reservoir for blockages (it should have one unless its had the wrong radiator fitted)

Water pump ? belt tensioner ok?

park the car facing uphill and run it to clear any possible airlocks
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

rogo

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 4:11pm »

Thank you gentlemen,

I will try all you suggest and hope that one or other of them does the trick- does it sound like head gaskets to you?

Roger
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 5:19pm »

Sounds more like an air-lock - easy to get on the V6.  If it's only got plain water in it now then drain it all out (drain plug on radiator, think there might be one on the block too) and refill slowly with the correct strength mix of antifreeze.

Once filled, gently squeeze each of the hoses a few times and then top up again if it's gone down any.  Leave the cap off.

Start the engine and let it run at idle until the cooling fans start then stop.  Switch off the engine and refit the cap once it has cooled down.

Darren
IP Logged
davem

A member since August 2000

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 2:06pm »

You may have sorted it by now, but as one of Dave's suggestions mentioned, I would check both cooling fans are running. The fans on mine both seem to come on pretty much straight away but also, wait until the temp dial goes above half way (starting to overheat) as both fans should be running full speed now. If not (or only one fan), there's the problem, and it could be faulty fan, wiring to fans or fan relay.

Dave
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth - 185,000 miles and still going
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 10:06pm »

Sounds like air lock to me Wink
IP Logged

Dave
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 1:13am »

If it's an airlock then I use the following procedure. It works a treat :-
1) Pull off the small hose that goes to the expansion tank.
2) Shove a transparent pipe approx 2 feet in length into it & attach it to the underside of the bonnet as high as it will go (air rises to the highest point) with gaffa tape.
3) Start the car & sit in drivers seat revving engine. When the engine warms up you will see any air bubbles in the cooling system expelled through the transparent pipe.
4) When no more air can be seen bubbling up, then the system should be air free.
Takes about 20 minutes Smiley
Hope this helps Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.