Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2024, 4:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS  (Read 708 times)
Annelk

2.3 Ghia X estate '98

View Profile WWW

ABS
« on: Jun 25th, 2006, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello again gents.... Just had a weird fault, at slow speed, (15MPH) and under light braking, the brakes 'shuddered' as though the ABS was coming in....this happened three times only when slowing for junctions, then was OK....but an ABS warning light is now permanently illuminated on the dash....any ideas?
Thanks
john
IP Logged

when flying....keep away from the edges
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: ABS
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 8:18pm »

Faulty sensor is the most likely cause.  
OR you might have picked up a small peice of metal  which has stuck to one of the sensor rings as they are quite strong magnets. worth checking
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Annelk

2.3 Ghia X estate '98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 9:34am »

Thanks Snoopy,..... is there any easy way of knowing which sensor of the 4 may be causing the problem?...... does it show with an OBD scan?

JW
IP Logged

howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 9:42am »

Ford have a tool that they can plug in other than that good old fashioned detective work Grin
Does the light never go out at all from start-up?
IP Logged

Dave
Annelk

2.3 Ghia X estate '98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 4:08pm »

Sorry, been away for a while..... the ABS light comes and goes as it pleases....as does the brake 'shuddering' fault...but only at very slow braking speeds

john
IP Logged

Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 8:27pm »

Hi I had this problem on my cossie and it turned out to be a wiring fault .  When i scanned it it said NSR wheel sensor, but I changed it and it still did the fault.  Was a bad earth on main ABS controller plug, I think this is a reference voltage earth rather than a main earth and as you say the fault would come and go.  Would be happy to scan it for you if your in my area (Dartford Kent).  Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Annelk

2.3 Ghia X estate '98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 9:55pm »

Thanks for the offer Dave....but I'm in north Norfolk..... I have recently been poking about under the bonnet changing spark plugs, belt and filters etc....so may have disturbed something? Where is the ABS controller?
John
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 10:20pm »

Follow the steel brake pipes - they all go to the ABS module which consists of the mechanical bit itself and the controller module bolted to the underneath of it.

FWIW, your problem sounds like one or more sensors are dropping the signal to the ECU so it thinks that wheel has locked up (hence the pulsing pedal).  Try checking them with a multimeter ASAP after the light comes on and you may be able to find which one is at fault.

Darren
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 6th, 2006, 11:22am »

Agree

But that pulsing at very low speed is exactly what mine was doing, together with all other symptoms. As Darren says, when I checked the dynamic wheel speeds, below 15 mph it would suddenly drop to zero but on the NSR wheel only, hence the ABS cutting in. However, I changed the sensor and checked the wiring to it, all to no avail, then I fitted a borrowed ABS pump and controller, still no good, I had my controller checked out at BBS Gillingham, and it was ok.  I had already visually checked the plug, but when I stripped it down in desperation I found that one of the small earth wire plugs was green where the wire crimped in, so lots of flux and a bit of solder has cured the problem.  Regards Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Annelk

2.3 Ghia X estate '98

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 6:28pm »

Thanks for the tips gents, I must admit I have done nothing so far other than check ABS multiplug under the bonnet is connected and clean....(Is this the one where you found the corroded connection inside, Dave?)
 The problem seems worse after the car has been standing for a while after a run and the heat soaks in to sensors or gubbins possibly?
I checked the Wiring schematics suggested elsewhere on the site for Sierra(?)...anyone know which diagram of the three ties up(if any) to the 2.3 Auto ghia X that I have?

John
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 6:36pm »

The site for "sierra" is indeed for the scorpio.. atleast if it's the url that has been linked to in this forum about ten dozen times  Wink
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
r33per

1998 S Reg 2.3 Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 9:00pm »

Just to add my 2p...

I've had an ABS warning light for ages, but it has been quite intermittent. Went to the local garage and the guy said, "When the light is off, and you are slowing up for a roundabout or junction, does the pedal jidder at low speed?"
"Yes" I said.
"Sounds like a faulty sensor" he said.

And, sure enough, he checked out all the sensors and the rear offside was registering as an 'open circuit'.

Hopefully getting it replaced soon...

Stu
IP Logged
Butterfingers

2.3, 16V auto R Reg Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 2:34pm »

My $0.02.

Mine does exactly the same. The light is intermittent but stays on most of the time. If it goes off then I will experience the pulsation under the brake pedal at very low speeds. I had it diagnosed and it was traced to the front offside wheel. Only problem is its very difficult to get the b****r out.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Might be worth mentioning to anyone coming up to MOT, that if the ABS light stays on it is an MOT fail item.

It should go out either when the ignition system has 'checked' all the warning lights, or when you first press the pedal, not sure which on the Scorpio. Important thing  is that it has to go out.

Best get any sensors cleaned up/replaced to sort it out before MOT.
IP Logged
Butterfingers

2.3, 16V auto R Reg Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 8:21pm »

Yes agreed. Mine was lucky in that sense. After parking up for the MOT and then started and driven into the bay it decided to go off and passed.  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.