Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 2:06pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cossie Radiator Damage »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cossie Radiator Damage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cossie Radiator Damage  (Read 341 times)
fillippe

Ultima Cossie

View Profile Email

Cossie Radiator Damage
« on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all
Not contributed much I'm afraid but I suppose it's because I've had trouble free motoring until this year.

I think I may have met the ballooning over pressure radiator syndrome and had some bull***t from less knowledgeable service reception staff(not that they are to blame).  So if I may I'll ask for your thoughts.

Radiator started leaking early this year.
Took for pressure test at nearest, most convenient garage(not ford dealer).  They correctly diagnosed the problem and fitted a replacement rad which according to the connections seems to be the right one.

About a month later coolant leak re-occurred which I put up with for too long and eventually set about looking for referencing the excellent knowledge base of this site.
No leak in cylinder head V, no oil cooler leaks.  So i took floor pan off and low and behold radiator leaking down one side.

I observed at this point that the radiator seemed to have some plastic construction of some sort as there was white plastic mainly visible from below.  I thought this odd but also thought that I would go back to the garage and request a warranty replacement.

Unfortunately I had to get a tow because the day before the appointment the leak became a torrent.

The garage duly did some work which I did not understand from their explanation but I will relate what I heard.  They did not charge me but told me that gloom and despondency was the only appropriate emotion as they were sure, and their radiator supplier also, that these scorpio cossies always had head casket problems that blew radiators.  This would not be a viable repair considering the value of the car.

The work they have done apparently is to put the radiator back together because it had merely torn open a seam.  They did not think that their radiator supplier would reimburse them for a new radiator as they were sure that it was the head gasket.

I hasten to add that there are no other signs of head gasket problems.

I feel that I should not tax the poor garage any more and should replace the inline thermostat myself as your site so wisely explains is the correct plan of action.

However I suspect I might be wise to consider replacing this patched up radiator as well.

Any comments, esp on the plastic radiator, are my eyes deceiving me?

Phil Button
Ultima 2.9 24V 1995
Lovely car!
IP Logged

Pearlescent Dark Aubergine Saloon
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

Re: Cossie Radiator Damage
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:21pm »

You should speak to Baz he is a expert on this problem Wink

But yeah this is a very common problem for the 24V.

Lots of people have ideas about it.

Basically the Mk3 24V does not have this problem, cosworth in their wisdom redesigned the cooling system but the heads & gaskets are almost identical. Block water ways are unchanged.

The problem is in what they changed, water pump, thermostat , radiator & pipe layout.
One of them is problomatic but which it is is open for debate.
My money is on weak radiator's Smiley
IP Logged

Dave
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 8:30am »

how about putting a couple of steel packing bands round the b****rs befor fitting. Grin
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
manscorpio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 9:51pm »

Probably too late to be of any value to you, however my personal suspicion is that the balloning is caused by blockage of the flow of water in the radiator. The internal waterways are extremely thin and if there is any accretion of impurities in the water they build up internally over a period of time. My radiator balloned last year and eventually burst. Had radiator rebuilt using a core with larger channels and higher quality. Replaced thermostat at same time, but old one seemed to work fine when subsequently tested. My car is 1996 24 Valve with c. 110,000 miles and the radiator that blew was the original. Note this my SUSPICION and clearly as yet not proven !
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 4th, 2006, 10:17pm »

Yeah why keep using the 24V rad if you keep having problems.
Just fit a 12V or diesel one & change the plumbing to suit.
The old MK3 24V shared it's rad with the diesel Wink
IP Logged

Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.