Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 25th, 2024, 3:57pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Tensioner on Auxilary ( fan ) Belt Stuck »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Tensioner on Auxilary ( fan ) Belt Stuck
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tensioner on Auxilary ( fan ) Belt Stuck  (Read 527 times)
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Tensioner on Auxilary ( fan ) Belt Stuck
« on: Jul 13th, 2006, 12:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Auxiliary Belt was screaming in the hot weather when turning (power steering) so I decided to change the belt. When I tried to move the tensioner (2.3 16V 1997 150K (motorways) can't recall ever replacing belt) it would not budge and pulling harder just moved the engine. I looked and the end stops of the tensioner and there is 1mm plus before it hits the end stop and 2mm plus of movement on the de-tensioning side (if it would move). I am reluctant to cut the belt (especially under tension and then replace or refurbish the tensioner) has anyone had a similar experience and do they have any recommendations on loosening the tensioner in situ. I have just sprayed some oil on the spring and in the gap between the two halves of the tensioner. Any advice much appreciated.

Mark
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

Re: Tensioner on Auxilary ( fan ) Belt Stuck
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 12:38pm »

You could try undoing the bolt holding it to the block a half turn - if it's too tight it can lock the temsioner

Dave
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 1:37am »

You say "pulling harder just moved the engine".
I'm sorry if this sounds a bit patronising (I may have mis-understood), but to move the tensioner you should push down (clockwise) Smiley
I've also got a 2.3 & my tensioner is a little stiff. I've found that if you can get underneath the front then pulling it downwards with your body weight & a long wrench seems to move it easier Wink
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 9:31am »

Fix  a   socket    ( or a  long handed  ring  spanner )   on  the  nut  holding   the  

tensioner  wheel  onto the arm    ( NOT the nut holding  the ternsioner onto the

engine  block )    and   push  the   tensioner arm   downwards,  there   should  be

more than enough  movement  to  enable   the  old  belt  to  be slipped off.

Do the same to put a new belt on .
IP Logged
macw

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 9:30am »

I put a little oil on the spring and the joint at the top of the tensioner a few times over the day, then gave it a small tap with a chisel on the arm and it loosened up. Put a new belt on anyway now I could move it (still has quite a lot of tension in it) and it seems to be OK now. Thanks for all your comments guys. The first belt lasted from new 8 years and 150K! A few things are starting to fail on the old girl now but I had more problems with my last new company car!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.